There was no shortage of talent for Purnell and his staff to watch on Monday.
- Purnell got his first look at Class of 2014 point guard prospect Johnnie Vassar, who visited DePaul last week. The pass-first point guard teamed with DePaul commit Billy Garrett, Jr. in the backcourt for Morgan Park. Vassar certainly passed the eye test as he helped lead the Mustangs to two wins and lost the third game in sudden-death overtime.
- Garrett, Jr. was his usual self and played well. While he struggled to finish at times, Billy still found ways to score for Morgan Park.
- Class of 2012 forward Steve Taylor showed his versatility on the floor for the Simeon Wolverines scoring both inside and outside. He held his own in a matchup with the Indiana-bound Hanner Parea.
- Class of 2013 forward Russell Woods dominated the glass in the two games that we saw him play for Leo. It will be interesting to see how he stacks up against some of the other competition at the camp. Woods is hearing from DePaul, Illinois, Marquette, Tennessee, and Wisconsin.
- Class of 2013 guard Kyle Davis did well for Hyde Park. We also learned that Hyde Park is picking up a pair of transfers. Class of 2012 guard Derrick Randolph enrolled at Hyde Park by way of Phillips and Whitney Young High Schools. Hyde Park also picked up rising junior Moshown Thomas from Bogan.
- Sterling Brown (2013) appeared to have grown a few inches since the last time we saw him. Brown told us that he has yet to lose with Proviso East during the late spring and summer. Brown and his Pirates squad convincingly beat DeLaSalle this afternoon. Brown is getting interest from DePaul, Illinois and Michigan State.
- DeLaSalle's Alvin Ellis (2013) has really developed his perimeter game and was raining threes all over the court today.
- We got our first look at German import Gavin Schilling today. He is already hearing from schools like DePaul despite this being his first appearance with DeLaSalle.
- Tommy Hamilton, Jr. and Paul White both sat out with injuries for Whitney Young today.
- Rocco Belcaster, the younger brother of DePaul walkon Joe Belcaster, is a prospect with good size and shooting ability. He'll get some Division I interest.
- We saw a battle of class of 2014 guards when Erick Locke from Brooks faced off with Tevin King from Providence St. Mel.
- Class of 2014 big man Cliff Alexander was dominant. "He has great hands and can rebound," said Scout.com analyst Brian Snow. "Works to post, good looking prospect so far."
- 2013 big man Alex Foster was throwing it down for DeLaSalle today and played with a lot of energy.
- The DePaul coaches seemed to take an interest in La Lumiere big man Obij Aget. The seven-footer from Sudan is part of a huge frontcourt at La Lumiere.
- Former Blue Demon LeVar Seals worked the camp today. Seals told WeAreDePaul.com that he will not return to Romania next season. Seals is currently fielding offers from a number of European teams.
- All of the DePaul sophomores, juniors, and seniors turned out this morning to support Purnell's camp.
Stay tuned to WeAreDePaul.com for the very latest on the Blue Demons.
DePaul Team Camp Notes – Day 1
We Are DePaul Top Stories
On Campus: Weekend of September 24thA number of the nation's top prospects will take official and unofficial visits this weekend. Who is headed where? Scout breaks down the key visits of the weekend.
Scout HoopsFriday at 5:07 AM
DePaul Learns Big East ScheduleCHICAGO – The Big East conference unveiled the 2016-17 conference schedule today as well as TV assignments for FOX and CBS coverage with the Blue Demons opening on the road at…
We Are DePaul09/13/2016
Hoops Recruiting Inside ScoopWhat's the latest on the top recruits in the country? Scout's basketball recruiting team -- Evan Daniels, Brian Snow and Josh Gershon -- break down the latest.
Updated 2018 Top 100The 2018 player rankings have been extended from a top 75 to a top 100. Marvin Bagley, a 6-foot-10 power forward, held on to the No. 1 spot, while Zion Williamson and Romeo…
Myke Henry Wins 3x3 National Title & MVPDePaul alumnus Myke Henry won the 2016 USA Basketball 3x3 Men’s national tournament championship this morning and was named Most Valuable Player of the tournament.
We Are DePaul08/28/2016