It was the kind of night where nothing went right for DePaul (1-1).
The Blue Demons were manhandled on the boards and were outrebounded by a 44-31 margin. To add to their woes, DePaul shot two for 13 from beyond the arc in the contest.
"We played poorly as a team from the start," said junior forward Cleveland Melvin. "We just didn't have any energy and we weren't rebounding. We just had a poor game. We can't have this ever again."
Gardner-Webb (1-2) played poised against the DePaul press and refused to be rattled tonight. The Runnin' Bulldogs were led by 20 points from guard Max Landis. Kevin Hartley contributed with 16 points and Donta Harper added 13 points.
"I don't want to take anything away from (Gardner-Webb)," said DePaul coach Oliver Purnell. "Clearly we didn't show up tonight. The bottom line is no matter what the circumstances are we have to be mentally tough enough to show up. Even if a team gets off to a really good start against you or whatever. You've got to bear down and get the job done."
Melvin led DePaul with 18 points and eight rebounds. Junior guard Brandon Young added 10 points.
DePaul trailed early and went into the locker room at halftime down 10 points and just couldn't get anything going in the second half.
"We never sustained any level of consistency offensively, defensively in the halfcourt, or defensively with our pressure," said Purnell. "We need to play extremely hard as a team. We need to be a fast, quick team. I don't think any of those things were there tonight."
The Blue Demons will face Austin Peay in the second game of the Cancun Challenge at Allstate Arena on Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m.
Before that game, the Blue Demons will need to regroup and take an assessment of themselves.
"We have to look in the mirror and say ‘is that okay?'," said Purnell. "I think you look in the mirror and say ‘that's not okay, that's embarrassing, that's not us'".
- DePaul extended its streak of consecutive games with a three-pointer to 581... the Blue Demons didn't make their first three until just under 13 minutes left in the second half... the last time the Blue Demons failed to hit from beyond the arc was Feb. 16, 1993 against UAB at Allstate Arena.
- Cleveland Melvin finished in double-figures for the 50th time in 60 career games... he has scored in double figures in 16 straight games going back to the 2011-12 season.
- Brandon Young scored 10 points to reach double-figures for the 46th time in his Blue Demon career.
- DePaul was held under 60 points for the first time since February 15, 2012 at Connecticut... the last time the Blue Demons failed to reach 60 points in a non-conference game was December 8, 2010 against Indiana State.
- Former White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen was in the crowd for tonight's game.
Gardner-Webb Upsets DePaul
We Are DePaul Top Stories
On Campus: Weekend of September 24thA number of the nation's top prospects will take official and unofficial visits this weekend. Who is headed where? Scout breaks down the key visits of the weekend.
DePaul Learns Big East ScheduleCHICAGO – The Big East conference unveiled the 2016-17 conference schedule today as well as TV assignments for FOX and CBS coverage with the Blue Demons opening on the road at…
We Are DePaul09/13/2016
Hoops Recruiting Inside ScoopWhat's the latest on the top recruits in the country? Scout's basketball recruiting team -- Evan Daniels, Brian Snow and Josh Gershon -- break down the latest.
Updated 2018 Top 100The 2018 player rankings have been extended from a top 75 to a top 100. Marvin Bagley, a 6-foot-10 power forward, held on to the No. 1 spot, while Zion Williamson and Romeo…
Myke Henry Wins 3x3 National Title & MVPDePaul alumnus Myke Henry won the 2016 USA Basketball 3x3 Men’s national tournament championship this morning and was named Most Valuable Player of the tournament.
We Are DePaul08/28/2016