Loyola (9-3) ended DePaul's (9-4) seven game winning streak led by 24 points from former Schaumburg star Cully Payne.
"He hit some big shots down the stretch for them," DePaul coach Oliver Purnell said of Payne's performance. "He played a whale of a game. He was a key to most everything they did."
While DePaul held Loyola star Ben Averkamp to nine points, it was Payne who ruled the day for the Ramblers.
"I just feel like they just wanted it more," said senior guard Worrel Clahar. "They got the loose balls. They dove on the ground. They wanted the offensive rebounds more than we wanted to block out. They came more prepared and were hungry."
The Blue Demons shot a paltry 55% from the free throw line which didn't help things this afternoon.
"We just couldn't make free throws today," said a very dejected Brandon Young. "It didn't just come down to free throws. It was the defense too. We just didn't come out ready to play today."
The Blue Demons also gave up 33 points in the paint to the Ramblers.
"We weren't mentally tough enough all night long to get ourselves in a situation to win the game," said Purnell.
Three players reached double-figures for Loyola. Christian Thomas scored 12 points and freshman Devon Turk came off the bench to add 10 for the Ramblers.
Young led the Blue Demons with 18 points while Clahar came off the bench to add 10 points in the losing effort.
The Blue Demons begin Big East conference play on Wednesday night at Allstate Arena against the Seton Hall Pirates.
Team Records and Series Notes:
• DePaul drops to 9-4 overall on the season... Loyola' s record improves to 9-3.
• The game was the 56th meeting between the two programs... DePaul leads the series by a 38-18 margin... today's win for Loyola ends an 11-game winning streak in the series for the Blue Demons... Loyola's last win over DePaul was a 70-69 decision on Jan. 21, 1989.
• DePaul is 105-37 all-time against the current lineup of Horizon League programs.
DePaul Team Notes:
• DePaul's win streak ended at seven games... it is the longest streak since a nine-game run from Dec. 7, 1993-Jan. 8, 1994.
• DePaul's streak of wins against Chicagoland opponents ended at nine in-a-row... DePaul head coach Oliver Purnell is 8-1 in his three seasons against local foes.
DePaul Individual Notes:
• Cleveland Melvin's streak in double-figures ended at 26 straight games... he entered the game tied for third in nation with longest active streaks in double-figures... Melvin's last game with less than 10 points was an eight-point game at Louisville on Jan. 14, 2012.
• With seven points, Melvin moved into 32nd on DePaul's all-time scoring list.
• Brandon Young played in his 75th career game... he recorded his 56th career game in doubled-figures.
Loyola Ends DePaul's Streak
We Are DePaul Top Stories
Career-Highs Lead DePaul WomenCHICAGO - It wasn’t Career Day at DePaul on Tuesday. But it was Career-High Night for the women’s basketball team.
We Are DePaulYesterday at 8:25 PM
From the Network
Special Thanks from Scout: Whole Network FreeNeed something else to give thanks for this week? Well, the entire Scout Network is FREE through the holiday weekend.
ScoutMonday at 1:03 PM
DePaul Wraps Up Paradise JamThe Blue Demons (2-3) wrapped up their trip to the Virgin Island for the Paradise Jam tournament on Monday afternoon with a 82-78 win over Norfolk State (1-4).
We Are DePaulMonday at 7:05 PM
WNIT Championship Preview: DePaul and BaylorIt will be basketball pedigrees aplenty this Sunday afternoon when No. 19 DePaul plays No. 4 Baylor for the preseason WNIT title at the Ferrell Center in Waco, Texas, at 2:00 p.m.…
We Are DePaulSaturday at 6:27 PM
Paradise Jam PreviewThe DePaul Blue Demons travel to the Virgin Islands to participate in the 2015 Paradise Jam tournament this weekend. We preview the opening game in this report.
We Are DePaulThursday at 8:00 PM