Just one month later, it is safe to say that things have drastically changed.
"The Duke visit actually never really took place," Holloway told The Devil's Den. "The Dean of Admissions had something come up, and he was going to be in China or something like that, so I ended up not going."
Following his cancelled trip to Durham, Holloway promptly received distressing news from the Duke coaching staff.
"I was kind of discouraged with the news they gave me. They are only taking one running back this year, so I can't enroll early at Duke."
Holloway has long stated that his preference would be to enroll early at the collegiate level. So how has this news affected Holloway's interest in the Blue Devils?
"I'm actually more open than I was the last time I talked to Scout.com. Duke is still an option though. I was discouraged with the news that they gave me, but I'm not throwing them out yet."
Duke's weakened positioning in the race for Holloway's services has opened the door for other programs to sweep in and make a late push. Georgia Tech and UNC already have scholarship offers on the table, while Minnesota and Clemson are just now getting back into the mix.
Holloway is hoping that a handful of visits at the conclusion of his senior season will help one team emerge as the clear favorite.
"Before, I was so set on going to Duke that it kind of set me back. Now that I am back in the mix, I'm actually starting to set up my official visits. I probably will still end up taking an official visit to Duke, but I just have to see where everything falls into place."
Holloway has amassed 1,531 total yards and 26 touchdowns during his senior season, despite being limited to just ten games due to a sprained MCL. He says that he would still prefer to make his college decision before January so that he could enroll early. If he is not able to enroll early, he will then make his decision on Signing Day.