Devils Blow Out Tech To End Streak

After four years of losing in the Atlantic Coast Conference, Duke fans would have settled for any kind of victory. However that wasn't enough for the Blue Devils as the eleven seniors on the roster led the Dukies to a convincing 41-17 victory over Georgia Tech to end the ACC losing streak at 30 games.

Senior tailback Chris Douglas ran for a career-best 218 yards on 30 carries including two scores, and converted linebacker Malcolm Ruff returned an interception 42 yards to solidify the victory.

With his 218 yards, Douglas is the first Duke player to top the 200 yard mark in nine seasons. The final 27 yards came on a scoring scamper with 2:48 seconds remaining in the contest to close out the scoring. His first score came on a 12 run in the third quarter as the Devils began to pull away.

The Blue Devils had not won a conference game since defeating Wake Forest 48-35 on November 13th of 1999. Since that time they had fallen in 30 straight conference games, 29 of them under the now replaced Carl Franks.

As a team Duke stunned the Yellow Jackets by logging a season high 253 yards on the ground against a defensive unit that had only surrendered an average of 94.8 yards per contest, which was the best in the league.

Aside from Douglas' effort, the Blue Devils maintained balance thanks to interim head coach Ted Roof's strategy of continuous rotation of quarterbacks Mike Schneider and Chris Dapolito. The duo combined to pass for 141 yards while surrendering just one interception on the afternoon.

Duke opened the game by scoring the first 10 points, before taking a 17-10 halftime advantage. Midway through the third quarter, leading 20-10, Duke got a big lift from senior defensive tackle Matt Zielinski who stripped the ball from the Tech QB on a keeper, which allowed Brendan Dewan to recover the ball at the Yellow Jackets' 36 yard line. From there it took just five plays to extend the lead to 27-10.

Roof, who saw his record improved to 1-2 as the Duke head coach, got drenched with the water cooler as Giuseppe Aguanno picked off a Tech pass with just 1:06 to play. Shortly after, fans stormed the field and brought down one of the goal posts before police stepped in front and prevented the other from falling as well.

The Devils Den Top Stories