In an All-Star game, there are a few things you can count on: people who have the ball most will shoot a lot, defense is pretty invisible, some guys who are going to be great won't have great games, and vice-versa.
There are a few things we saw that seemed obvious, though, despite the distortions that a game like this always presents.
- J.J. Redick can really, really shoot. Duke's greatest shooters have probably been Bob Verga, Tate Armstrong, Rick Gomez, and Trajan Langdon. Maybe Groat and Mullins belong on that list, but they were before our time (and we only know Verga by reputation). Rick Gomez didn't stay at Duke too long, but he was as pure a shooter as we've seen. Redick looks pretty great.
- Sean Dockery was caught on a team that didn't really play to his strength, which is, in a nutshell, teamwork.
- Michael Thompson has a ways to go, but he is big enough and strong enough to continue his remarkable improvement.
- Shavlik Randolph has a lot of skill, but two things worked against him: 1) his weight, and 2) the nature of All-Star games. He made some smart plays and hit one three from on the NBA line. But he also probably spent too much time hanging around outside, though in fairness, that's where the ball usually is in this type of game.
- Eric Williams can't really jump, but it doesn't matter. This is what Nigel Dixon could become: the kid had three offensive boards in one possession. He bears a slight facial resemblance to a young Wes Unseld, and is similarly built. Give him a great outlet pass, and he's a reasonable facsimile. He could lead the ACC in rebounding next year. He's an excellent rebounder. He had five offensive boards in the first six minutes of the second half. An All-Star game, but still!
- Chris Bosch is unorthodox in some ways, but a very, very smooth big man. He's got a lot of filling out to do, but the talent is there.
- Raymond Felton didn't have a phenomenal game, but he didn't need to. He showed enough. He's legit.
- Rashad McCants on the other hand showed tons. He's also legit, and could be a huge player next season at UNC. Unless a lot changes, Jackie Manuel is going to get a lot of bench time, and Brian Morrison would have disappeared.
- Sean May had a few nice plays, but not a huge game.
- Between Bosch, Thompson, Willliams and May, not to mention Shelden Williams, who wasn't invited, the ACC will have some really excellent post play in the next few years.