Daniels Is A Devil

Matt Daniels was 90% sure he was going to Duke on Sunday night, the remaining 10% came before making a phone call Tuesday afternoon.

"Like I told you when we talked this weekend, I was just feeling everything about Duke," said new Blue Devil Matt Daniels. "My parents and I talked and we decided that there was no point to wait anymore."

So Daniels phoned assistant coach Glenn Spencer and became the third commitment of the early recruiting season.

"He was really excited. The coaches and players were all really hoping I would commit after the weekend. I think the time I spent with Evalio [Harrell], John [Talley], and Chris [Davis] was what put them over the top. I am looking forward to coming in and continuing the effort to make Duke great."

Measuring out at 6-foot-1 and 195 pounds, Daniels has been clocked running a 4.45 in the forty yard dash.

For Fayette County High, Daniels plays on both sides of the ball. As a junior he rushed 200 times for more than 1,300 yards and 20 TDs for Fayette County. Defensively he's a ferocious hitter at the safety position, logging 40 tackles, 26 assists, and one interception in 2006.

That production netted him offers from Georgia Tech and Indiana as well as heavy interest from programs such as Tennessee, Wake Forest, and Auburn.

Despite those offers still standing, Daniels isn't eying a change of heart down the road.

"Duke made a commitment to me just as much as I did for them. Coach Spencer has been straight forward with me from the start, and I'm going to do the same for him."

When he arrives on campus next summer, Daniels will immediately begin working his way up the depth chart at safety - something he's looking forward to in a big way.

"I really like playing safety. The ability to throw my body around and tee off on guys who come across the middle is the best part of that position. I go out there and am aggressive while trying to hit very hard."

The Devils Den Top Stories