This also marks the 21st preseason ranking in the AP poll in the last 22 years and 23rd overall under Coach K. Additionally, this is the 35th appearance all-time in the preseason AP poll and the 39th overall in the first poll of the season. The AP has distinguished the first poll of the season and the preseason poll every season since 1961-62.
More Duke In The AP Poll Notes:
- Duke has been ranked at some point in each of the last 26 seasons and in 48 seasons overall.
- Duke has earned a Top 10 preseason ranking for the first time since 2005-06, when it was No. 1 in the preseason poll. Under Coach K, Duke has earned a Top 10 ranking 19 times and 28 times overall.
- Coach K ranks No. 1 all-time for most seasons with at least one No. 1 ranking with 13, one ahead of John Wooden and three ahead of Dean Smith and Roy Williams.
- Duke has now been ranked in 597 overall polls of which 489 have been a Top 10 ranking. Duke's current streak of consecutive polls ranked stands at 21.
- Duke has been ranked No. 8 now 41 times in the AP poll and the Blue Devils are 60-15 as the No. 8 team in the AP poll.
- Under Coach K, Duke has been ranked in 411 overall polls, the Top 10 349 times and at No. 1 92 times, more than any other active coach.
- Of 938 games under Coach K, Duke has been ranked 794 of them. Duke is 650-144 as a ranked team under Coach K.