Saturday, Nov. 8 at 1:00 p.m.
Wagner College Stadium (3,300/FieldTurf) • Staten Island, N.Y.
DUKES CONCLUDE ROAD SLATE AT WAGNER
Duquesne (2-6, 1-4), looking to snap a five-game losing streak, heads to Staten Island, N.Y. to face Wagner College (3-6, 1-4) in a Northeast Conference game at 1:00 on Saturday, Nov. 8 (WMNY-AM 1360). It is the final road game of the season for the Dukes who are looking for their first win away from Rooney Field (0-4 on the road).
Wagner enters the game having lost four of its past five including a 42-20 decision last Friday at Sacred Heart. This is Senior Day for the Seahawks who are 1-3 at Wagner College Stadium in ‘08.
Duquesne saw a 10-9 fourth quarter lead evaporate when Bryant - aided by a pair of DU turnovers - posted 15 points over the final 12:14 in defeating the Dukes 24-10 in Smithfield, R.I. It was the second consecutive week Duquesne saw a lead disappear. On Oct. 25, Sacred Heart scored 29 consecutive points to erase a 17-0 Duquesne second-quarter lead in posting a 29-17 win at Rooney Field.
DU and Wagner enter Saturday's game with identical 1-4 NEC records. Both schools' conference wins came over Saint Francis, Pa.
Wagner leads the series 2-1, with the last meeting coming in the 1995 ECAC Bowl ... in the first game between the two schools, Wagner defeated then-Division III Duquesne 31-6 at Staten Island on Nov. 14, 1992 ... the next season - DU's first at the I-AA non-scholarship level - the Seahawks defeated the Dukes 27-24 at Rooney Field ... DU posted its first series win in the ECAC Bowl on Nov. 18, 1995 by a 44-20 score at Rooney Field ... current Duquesne receivers coach Dave Loya, a sophomore quarterback at the time, completed 16-of-26 passes for then school record 333 yards and three touchdowns to earn MVP honors in the DU win ... the bowl appearance was Duquesne's first since the 1937 Orange Bowl.
Wagner first-year starting quarterback Adam Farnsworth - like Duquesne signal-caller Connor Dixon - has spent time in the Big 10 ... Farnsworth, a 23-year-old junior, was a member of the University of Iowa scout team in 2006 & 2007 prior to transferring to Wagner in the spring of ‘08 ... the North Ogden, Utah native has completed 61.1 percent of his passes for 818 yards and six touchdowns ... Farnsworth, in his first action since suffering an injury vs. Central Connecticut St. on Oct. 4, was 10-of-25 for 122 yards, with one touchdown and one interception and was sacked twice in Wagner's Halloween loss at Sacred Heart ... Walt Hameline is in his 28th season as the head coach at Wagner ... he became the winningest coach in Wagner College history in 1990, and boasts a .646 winning percentage at 189-103-2, which ranks in the top 10 among active FCS coaches ... Wagner is the only team in the NEC giving up fewer than 300 yards per game (a league-low 287.6 ypg.) ... the Seahawks also lead the conference in pass defense at 128.8 ypg. ... Wagner has been victimized by the turnover with a league-worst -1.22/g. turnover margin (minus 11 overall with 11 gained and 22 lost) ... Duquesne's turnover margin is even (18 committed and 18 gained) ... Wagner has surrendered 22 sacks which ranks as the second-most in the NEC.
LEFTOVERS FROM BRYANT
- Bryant was 7-of-15 on third down, while the Dukes converted just 1-of-9 tries
- Duquesne's five-game losing streak is its longest since the 1993 team, playing its first season after moving from Division III to I-AA non-scholarship, dropped five in a row in finishing 4-6 ... that was also DU's last non-winning season
- Sophomore quarterback Connor Dixon (South Park, Pa./South Park) completed 16-of-28 passes for 193 yards including a 54-yard touchdown to Alex Roberson, but was intercepted twice in the fourth quarter ... Bryant turned the two picks into their final nine points of the game ... Dixon, who threw five interceptions in Duquesne's first six games, has been picked off five times in DU's past two outings ... Dixon has 19 TD tosses this season
- Junior tailback Cleodis Williams (Carlisle, Pa./Carlisle) rushed 15 times for 76 yards (5.1 yards per carry)
- Sophomore linebacker Nathan Totino (Pittsburgh, Pa./Seton-La Salle) finished with a six tackles to see his streak of double-digit tackle games snapped at seven ... Totino is now averaging 13.4 tackles per game, which ranks second nationally
- Freshman tight end Brian Layhue (Belle Vernon, Pa./Belle Vernon) and freshman receiver Isaac Spragg (Westfield, Va./Valley Forge Military Academy) recorded their first career catches at Bryant
Duquesne saw a pair of individual streaks snapped in the loss at Bryant ... linebacker Nathan Totino (Pittsburgh, Pa./Seton-La Salle) saw his streak of double-digit tackle games snapped at seven and receiver Conrad Carter (Clinton, Md./Archbishop Carroll) had a streak of consecutive games with at least one pass reception halted at 25.
IN NCAA STATS
Duquesne sophomore linebacker Nathan Totino ranks second in the FCS in tackles per game with 13.38 ... the 5-10, 200-pounder posted double-digit stops in DU's first seven games with a high of 23 set against Albany on Oct. 4 ... the 23 tackles are tied for most in a game by any FCS player this season ... Duquesne ranks 33rd nationally in passing offense at 240.1 ypg. ... sophomore quarterback Connor Dixon ranks 35th in total offense at 233.4 ypg. ... Cleo Williams, who is averaging 4.7 yards per carry, is the nation's 34th-leading rusher at 87.1 ypg. ... the young Dukes have struggled against the run, giving up an average of 208.1 ypg. which ranks 109th nationally ... DU held Sacred Heart to an opponent season-low 91 yards on the ground on 38 carries (2.4 ypc.) on Oct. 25 before Bryant ran for 232 yards last weekend.