Wednesday, Dec. 31, 2008 • 4:00 p.m. (EST)
A.J. Palumbo Center (5,358) • Pittsburgh, Pa.
DUKES HOST BOWLING GREEN ON NEW YEAR'S EVE
The Dukes, who are averaging 88.3 ppg. during their current win streak, are taking on a Bowling Green team that has held its past four opponents to an average of 55.8 ppg. For the season, the Dukes are averaging 78.0 ppg., while BGSU's opponents are scoring at a 61.1 ppg. clip.
Duquesne has had five double-digit scorers in each of its past three games. Bob Cousy Award nominee (nation's top collegiate point guard) Aaron Jackson leads the Dukes with a 17.2 ppg. scoring average. Jackson, DU's lone senior, has led the Dukes in scoring in each of the past three games. He also leads the team in assists (5.8 apg.) and steals (2.3 spg.). Sophomore forward Damian Saunders (15.4 ppg.) leads DU in rebounding (7.6 rpg.) and blocks (24).
Duquesne's 18 non-conference victories over the past two seasons (DU was 10-3 in non-league play last year) are the most in back-to-back years since 1980 (11-6) & 1981 (8-8). DU has also clinched back-to-back winning non-conference records in consecutive seasons for the first time since 1993 & 1994.
Duquesne opens Atlantic 10 play at home against Charlotte on Jan. 7.
- Duquesne, one of the youngest teams in the nation with eight scholarship freshmen and 12 underclassmen, has won three in a row
- Either senior G Aaron Jackson (17.2 ppg.) - one of 34 preseason Bob Cousy Award nominees (nation's top collegiate point guard) - or soph. F Damian Saunders (15.4 ppg.) has led the Dukes in scoring in 11 of 12 games ... Saunders (.619) and Jackson (.587) both began the week ranked among the top 30 nationally in field goal pct.
- Freshman guard Eric Evans, who has been named A-10 Rookie of the Week three times, has set a new career scoring high in two of his past four games
- Junior Jason Duty has scored in double digits in the DU's past three games
- DU's four losses have come to teams with a combined 39-6 record (Duke is 10-1, Pitt is 12-0, WVU is 10-2 & Old Dominion 7-3)
- Duquesne's 18 non-conference victories over the past two seasons (DU was 10-3 last year) are the most non-league wins in back-to-back years since 1980 (11-6) & 1981 (8-8)
- DU's eight wins have all come by double digits
- The Dukes have won their games by a margin of +18.6 ppg.
- DU has outrebounded its past three opponents 120-84 (40.0 to 28.0, +12.0/g.)
This is the 24th meeting between Duquesne and Bowling Green ... DU holds a 14-9 edge in the series that began on Dec. 15, 1947 ... in games played at Pittsburgh, the Dukes lead 9-2 ... the two teams met every year from 1951-52 through 1962-63 (15 total games) ... the two also played home-and-home series' in 1948-49, 1979-80 and 2001-02 ... the 2000-01 meeting was the first since Dec. 28, 1984 (first round of the Rochester Classic) ... BGSU won the last meeting between the two at Pittsburgh by a 64-62 score on Dec. 5, 2001 ... Duquesne snapped a six-game road series losing streak with a 96-78 win last year at Bowling Green ... Duquesne's last win at Bowling Green prior to last season was on Feb. 5, 1955 when the eventual NIT champions and then-No. 4 (AP) Dukes defeated the Falcons 64-54.
- A victory versus Bowling Green would:
- End a three-game home losing streak against Mid-American Conference schools ... DU's last home win against a MAC team was on Jan. 7, 2004 over Ohio (96-91) ... the Dukes have lost their past three at home vs. the MAC.
- Give the Dukes nine non-conference wins. It would be just the second time since 1979-80 that a Duquesne team has won nine or more non-league games. The other was last season (10-3).
- Even Ron Everhart's record at Duquesne at 36-36.
MORE ON BOWLING GREEN
The Falcons improved their home record to 4-0 with a 78-60 win over Eastern Illinois on Sunday ... the Falcons are 0-5 on the road this year with single-digit losses at Minnesota (68-61) and Ohio State (61-57) ... only two teams have scored over 68 points against the Falcons this season (Georgia State scored 76 in a 77-76 overtime loss on Nov. 14 and Illinois State scored 78 in a 78-65 win at home on Dec. 6) ... Bowling Green, which is limiting opponents to 61.1 ppg., has held its last four opponents to 38, 67, 58 and 60 points ... the Falcons are holding opponents to .372 shooting ... BGSU has four players averaging in double figures led by 6-4 senior Brian Moten at 13.1 ppg. ... Bowling Green is in its second season under head coach Louis Orr.
Of the six current Atlantic 10 players who have been named league Player of the Week more than once in their career, only one player - Duquesne's Aaron Jackson - was not named to any of the three A-10 preseason All-Conference teams:
PLAYER, SCHOOL A-10 POW PRESEASON Dionte Christmas, Temple 9 times 1st Team Aaron Jackson, Duquesne 3 times NONE Ahmad Nivins, Saint Joseph's 3 times 1st Team Jimmy Baron, Rhode Island 2 times 3rd Team Ricky Harris, Massachusetts 2 times 2nd Team Kevin Lisch, Saint Louis 2 times 1st Team
QUICK PLAYER NOTES
- Freshman Melquan Bolding, who joined the starting lineup on Dec. 3 at Pitt, has established a new career scoring high in two of DU's past three games (14 vs. Rice and 16 at Robert Morris) ... totaled all of his nine points in the first five minutes of the win at Radford ... also recorded season highs for assists (3) and steals (3) at RU ... went 4-of-6 from the 3-point arc and matched his steals high (3) at Robert Morris ... he has pulled down a season-best six rebounds twice ... is third on the team with 15 offensive boards
- Sophomore Bill Clark has started all 11 games ... second on the team with 38 assists, including a career-best six at Saint Francis & at Robert Morris ... had 41 assists in 30 games last season ... his three high scoring games of the season have come at home (14 points each vs. High Point and Furman and 13 vs. WVU) ... has scored in double digits seven times ... hit 3-of-10 3-pointers in scoring 13 in a career-high 40 minutes vs. West Virginia ... has hit two or more 3-pointers in a game five times ... tied with Jason Duty for the team lead in 3-pointers made with 18
- Junior Jason Duty, who entered the Nov. 25 USC Upstate game averaging 4.7 ppg., scored all of his career high 17 points in the first 13 minutes ... went 4-of-6 from the 3-point arc in posting his third career double-digit scoring game vs. the Spartans ... his previous scoring high was 13 set as a freshman vs. Dayton ... added 12 points, six rebounds and four assists vs. NC Central and 11 at Robert Morris ... is 17-of-18 from the foul line this season and 38-of-44 (.864) for his career ...made his first 14 free throws of the season before missing his first attempt vs. NCCU ... has started all 12 games, and hit at least one 3-pointer in 10 of them ... broke out of a four-game 2-of-15 3-point shooting slump to hit 9-of-17 from the arc in DU's past four games ... is tied for the team lead with 18 3-pointers (.391)
- Freshman Eric Evans has come off the bench to win or share Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week honors three times ... has scored in double digits six times with a career high of 19 vs. North Carolina Central (10-of-12 from the line) ... was named ROW for the third time after the NCCU game ... earned rookie honors for the first time (11/23) after scoring 16 points on 7-of-10 shooting at Saint Francis, Pa. ... named ROW for a second time (12/21) after averaging 14.5 ppg. on .733 shooting (11-of-15) in games against Old Dominion and Rice ... followed his first scoreless game of the season (vs. West Virginia) with 18 points on 8-of-11 shooting vs. ODU ... scored all of his 11 points vs. Rice in 16 second-half minutes ... leads DU's eight freshmen in minutes/g. at 23.2 ... has hit at least one 3-pointer in 10 games with a season high three (3-of-6) vs. NC Central ... became the first player other than Aaron Jackson or Damian Saunders to lead the Dukes in scoring when he posted the 18 points vs. ODU
- Lone senior Aaron Jackson leads team scoring (17.2 ppg.), assists (70, 5.8 apg.) and steals (27, 2.3 spg.) and is second in rebounding (6.0 rpg.) ... shooting .587 from field ... was 2-of-13 from the 3-point arc before hitting 5-of-6 in scoring a career-high 36 points at Radford ... went 15-of-17 from the field vs. RU for the best shooting performance by a DU player since Ruben Montanez went 15-of-17 in a win over Saint Peter's on Feb. 17, 1973 ... followed that with 19 vs. West Virginia to earn Atlantic 10 co-Player of the Week honors (12/14) ... has a 2.1-to-1 assist/turnover ratio (70-34) ... has made nine more free throws (51-of-63) than any other DU player has attempted (Damian Saunders is 25-of-42) ... has flirted with a triple-double on four occasions (20 points, 7 assists & 7 steals at Saint Francis, Pa., 20 points, 10 rebounds & 6 assists in 28 minutes vs. Furman, 8 points, 7 rebounds and 7 assists vs. Old Dominion and 16 points, 7 rebounds and 8 assists vs. Rice) ... his seven steals at Saint Francis, Pa. tied the second-highest total in school history ... became the 13th player in school history to post 10 or more assists in a game with a career-high 10 at USC Upstate ... averaging a team-high 34.1 minutes/g.
- Freshman Oliver Lewinson has played in nine games ... has logged double digit minutes three times (11 at Pitt, 12 at Radford and 10 vs. Old Dominion) ... had four points and three boards at Radford ... grabbed a season high six rebounds in seven minutes vs. NC Central
- Freshman Aleksandar Milovic logged a total of 11 minutes in two games before playing a season-high 19 at Pitt ... saw the added time due to injuries to two fellow forwards (David Theis, bruised kidney & Rodrigo Peggau, sore knee - were both not in uniform at Pitt) ... did not play at Radford or vs. WVU before seeing five minutes of action vs. ODU
- Freshman B.J. Monteiro started the first five games before providing a spark off the bench in the past seven ... posted season highs for points (7) and rebounds (4) in the opener vs. High Point ... his opening day start marked the fourth consecutive season at least one true freshman was in DU's opening day starting lineup ... current Dukes Aaron Jackson (2005-06) and Bill Clark (2007-08) also started the first game in their freshman year ... Montiero has come off the bench to score 27 points in 70 minutes in Duquesne's past seven games
- Freshman Shawntez Patterson has played in two games (vs. High Point & at Robert Morris)
- Freshman Rodrigo Peggau played in four games before his season was ended prematurely by Dec. 18 right knee surgery ... underwent surgery on the knee in May and had a scope done Sept. 15 ... looked to be coming around, scoring five points in 19 seconds at Saint Francis and following that with eight points and seven rebounds in 16 minutes vs. Furman before knee pain took its toll ... will apply for a medical hardship waiver at the conclusion of the season
- Freshman Chase Robinson has played in eight games with a season-high 13 minutes vs. Furman ... scored five in the opener vs. High Point ... 2-of-7 from the 3-point arc
- Sophomore Damian Saunders leads the team in rebounding (7.6 rpg.) and blocked shots (24) and is second in scoring (15.4 ppg.) ... has a team-best 34 offensive rebounds ... has scored in double digits in 11 of 12 games (season-opening streak of eight-straight ended with nine points vs. Old Dominion) ... has scored 20 or more three times (21 vs. High Point, 20 at USC Upstate & a career-high 22 at Duke) ... had a career-high six steals vs. High Point and tied his career high with four blocks at Pitt ... is shooting better from the field (.619) than he is from the foul line (25-of-42, .595) ... has three double-doubles (20-12 at Upstate, 22-10 at Duke & 18-10 vs. NC Central) ... named A-10 co-Player of the Week following the Duke game (11/30) ... has led the team in scoring four times and in rebounding nine times ... has a team-high 17 dunks
- Sophomore David Theis was averaging 14.2 minutes in DU's first five games before being sidelined with a bruised kidney ... suffered the injury at USC Upstate and played a then career-high 27 minutes at Duke before experiencing discomfort ... had seven points at Duke also tied his career best with two steals vs. the Blue Devils ... missed the next two games at Pitt and at Radford ... was cleared to practice on Dec. 10 ... scored eight points in a career-best 34 minutes in his return game vs. WVU ... went 2-of-2 from the 3-point arc against the Mountaineers ... added a new career-high nine points and career-best five rebounds vs. Rice ... has set a new career scoring high in three of his past six games played (7 at Duke, 8 vs. WVU and 9 vs. Rice) ... shooting .500, including 4-of-9 from the 3-point arc