Saturday, Jan. 10, 2008 • 4:00 p.m. (EST)
Reilly Center (5,780) • St. Bonaventure, N.Y.
DUKES FACE BONNIES FOR 100th TIME
The game, which will be preceded by the SBU women vs. La Salle at 1:30 p.m., marks the 100th meeting between the two schools (Duquesne leads the series 52-47). DU and SBU will both be trying for their first 2-0 conference start since 1999-00.
Duquesne, whose last game away from Pittsburgh was a Dec. 10 win at Radford (DU also won at nearby Robert Morris on Dec. 28), will be looking to extend its winning streak to six and also win its third consecutive road game. The last time a DU team won three-straight road games was in November/December of 1985. The last six-game streak was last season when the Dukes won their first six games. Last year's six-game streak was the longest by a DU team since 1980-81.
St. Bonaventure, Duquesne's most-frequent all-time opponent, is coming off a 78-65 league-opening win at Fordham on Wednesday. The Bonnies, who were 8-22 last season, bring a 10-4 record into Saturday's game.
Duquesne extended its winning streak to five with a 76-71 home win over Charlotte on Wednesday. Aaron Jackson - the Jan. 4 Atlantic 10 Player of the Week - led the Dukes with 30 points in the win. Bill Clark (15-14) and Damian Saunders (12-11) both posted double-doubles for DU in the win.
- Duquesne, one of the youngest teams in the nation with eight scholarship freshmen and 12 underclassmen, has won five in a row
- DU has had a two other five-game streaks and one six-game win streak under current head coach Ron Everhart ... Everhart's teams now own four of the 10 longest winning streaks posted by Duquesne teams since 1969-70
- Senior G Aaron Jackson (17.9 ppg.) - one of 34 preseason Bob Cousy Award nominees (nation's top collegiate point guard) - became DU's 32nd 1,000-point scorer with 30 points vs. Charlotte on Wednesday ... he is the only A-10 player with two 30-point games this season (36 at Radford)
- Either Jackson or soph. F Damian Saunders (15.2 ppg.) has led the Dukes in scoring in 12 of 14 games
- Saunders & Jackson both began the week ranked among the top 35 nationally in field goal pct.
- Soph. G/F Bill Clark, who scored a career-high 21 points vs. Bowling Green, followed that with 15 points and a career-high 14 rebounds vs. Charlotte
- Three of DU's four losses have come to ranked teams (No. 1 AP Pitt, No. 2 Duke & No. 25 WVU)
- DU has posted double-digit wins in each of its first three seasons under Ron Everhart ... the last time DU strung together three 10+ win seasons was 1991-95 (five in a row).
This is the 100th meeting between the Dukes and Bonnies in a series that dates back to Feb. 13, 1920 ... it is also the 58th consecutive season DU and SBU have met at least once on the hardwood ... Duquesne leads the overall series 52-47 ... in games played at Olean/Buffalo, St. Bonaventure leads 30-17 ... the Dukes have won six of the past nine meetings including three of the past four at Reilly Center ... current DU head coach Ron Everhart is 2-2 against the Bonnies (1-1 on the road) ... Everhart's Dukes scored a series record 111 points in a 111-92 win at Reilly Center in 2007 ... last year, SBU defeated DU 74-59 at home ... St. Bonaventure is one of three A-10 teams the Dukes will play twice this year along with Dayton and Saint Louis ... Duquesne owns more conference wins over SBU (24) than any other A-10 school.
- A victory at St. Bonaventure would:
- Mark the first time since Nov./Dec. 1985 that a Duquesne team won three in a row on the road. DU finished the 1983-84 season with back-to-back home wins and followed that by winning its first three road games of 1985-86. Everhart's DU teams have won back-to-back road games five times.
- Be just the fifth 2-0 conference start in school history (and first since 1999-00). DU has never had a 3-0 league start.
- Up DU's win streak to six, matching the Dukes' longest streak under Ron Everhart (first six games of last season). Prior to Everhart's arrival, the last time a DU team won six in a row was 1980-81 (seven-game streak).
- Give DU four wins in its past five trips to SBU (wins in 2004, 2006 & 2007 and a loss last year).
DON'T I KNOW YOU?
Here is a list of Duquesne's most frequent all-time opponents:
OPPONENT G SERIES St. Bonaventure 99 52-47 West Virginia 84 36-48 Pittsburgh 77 31-46 St. Francis 72 60-12
SEPARATED BY LESS THAN 1.0 PPG. OVER 16 YEARS
Three of the past 26 meetings between Duquesne and St. Bonaventure have been decided in overtime. In fact, over that 26-game span, the series is tied at 13-13 (including the Bonnies' 2003 forfeit). To take it one step further, only 25 points (1,991 to 1,966) separate the two teams in games played since 1992. The average score in the past 26 meetings is 76.58 ppg. for Duquesne to 75.62 for St. Bonaventure - a difference of .96 points per game.
DUQUESNE VS. ST. BONAVENTURE the past 26 games, beginning Jan. 18, 1992 Team Wins OT W's Points Ppg St. Bonaventure 13 1 1,966 75.62 Duquesne 13 2 1,991 76.58STRAIGHT-SHOOTERS
Duquesne began the week as one of two schools in the country with two players ranked among the nation's top 35 in field goal percentage. Sophomore forward Damian Saunders started the week ranked 16th at .620 and senior guard Aaron Jackson was 33rd at .576. South Carolina State's Jason Johnson (.663) and Jason Flagler (.608) were the only other teammates that began the week in the Top 35. Jackson started the week as the third-best shooting guard in the nation behind Flagler (20th) and Paul Delaney III of UAB (22nd at .602).
QUICK PLAYER NOTES
- Freshman Melquan Bolding, who was named to the A-10 preseason All-Rookie team, joined the starting lineup on Dec. 3 at Pitt ... he has scored in double digits in three of his past five games including a career-high 16 at Robert Morris ... scored 14 in 22 minutes vs. Rice for his first double-digit game ... scored all of his nine points in the first five minutes of his second start, a win at Radford ... also recorded season highs for assists (3) and steals (3) at RU ... went 4-of-6 from the 3-point arc and matched his steals high (3) at Robert Morris ... added 10 points vs. Bowling Green ... has pulled down a season-best six rebounds four times ... had a career-high four assists in the A-10 opener vs. Charlotte ... is fourth on the team with 21 offensive boards
- Sophomore Bill Clark, who has started all 13 games, has set a new career high for points and rebounds in the past two games ... he scored 18 of his career-high 21 points against Bowling Green in the second half to help Duquesne erase a 10-point deficit in a 76-65 win and followed that with 15 points and a career-best 14 rebounds against Charlotte ... was 7-of-8 from the field - including 4-of-4 from the 3-point in the second half vs. BGSU ... the four 3-pointers tied his career high set last year against USC Upstate ... the double-double vs. Charlotte was the second of his career (first this season) ... is second on the team with 42 assists, including a career-best six at Saint Francis & at Robert Morris ... had 41 assists in 30 games last season ... his five high scoring games this season have come at home (21 vs. Bowling Green, 15 vs. Charlotte, 14 vs. High Point & Furman and 13 vs. WVU) ... has scored in double digits nine times ... hit 3-of-10 3-pointers in scoring 13 in a career-high 40 minutes vs. West Virginia ... has hit two or more 3-pointers in a game seven times ... leads the team in 3-pointers made with 24
- Junior Jason Duty, who entered the season with two career double-digit scoring games, has reached double figures in four of DU's past five outings ... entered the Nov. 25 USC Upstate game averaging 4.7 ppg. before scoring all of his career high 17 points in the first 13 minutes ... went 4-of-6 from the 3-point arc vs. the Spartans ... his previous scoring high was 13 set as a freshman vs. Dayton ... added 12 points, six rebounds and four assists vs. NC Central and 11 at Robert Morris ... is 20-of-22 from the foul line this season and 41-of-48 (.854) for his career ...made his first 14 free throws of the season before missing his first attempt vs. NCCU ... has started all 14 games, and hit at least one 3-pointer in 12 of them ... broke out of a four-game 2-of-15 3-point shooting slump to hit 13-of-27 from the arc in DU's past six games ... is second on the team lead with 22 3-pointers (.393) ... made 14 3-pointers in each of his first two seasons at DU
- Freshman Eric Evans has come off the bench to win or share Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week honors three times ... has scored in double digits six times with a career high of 19 vs. North Carolina Central (10-of-12 from the line) ... was named ROW for the third time after the Dec. 22 NCCU game ... earned rookie honors for the first time (11/23) after scoring 16 points on 7-of-10 shooting at Saint Francis, Pa. ... named ROW for a second time (12/21) after averaging 14.5 ppg. on .733 shooting (11-of-15) in games against Old Dominion and Rice ... followed his first scoreless game of the season (vs. West Virginia) with 18 points on 8-of-11 shooting vs. ODU ... scored all of his 11 points vs. Rice in 16 second-half minutes ... leads DU's eight freshmen in minutes/g. at 23.4 ... has hit at least one 3-pointer in 11 games with a season high three (3-of-6) vs. NC Central ... also had five steals against NCCU ... became the first player other than Aaron Jackson or Damian Saunders to lead the Dukes in scoring when he posted the 18 points vs. ODU ... is 5-of-19 from the field (2-of-12 from 3-point) in his past three games
- Lone senior Aaron Jackson, who leads team scoring (17.9 ppg.), assists (85, 6.1 apg.) and steals (32, 2.3 spg.) and is second in rebounding (5.6 rpg.), has been named Atlantic 10 Player of the Week twice this season ... has won the honor four times in his career, two shy of the school record set by Bruce Atkins from 1979-82 ... shooting .577 from field ... was 2-of-13 from the 3-point arc before hitting 5-of-6 in scoring a career-high 36 points at Radford ... went 15-of-17 from the field vs. RU for the best shooting performance by a DU player since Ruben Montanez went 15-of-17 in a win over Saint Peter's on Feb. 17, 1973 ... followed that with 19 vs. West Virginia to earn Atlantic 10 co-Player of the Week honors (12/14) ... added 30 points and six assists in the A-10 opening 76-71 win over Charlotte ... with the game tied at 69-69 Jackson scored the go-ahead bucket with 1:22, then stole the ball and fed Damian Saunders for a layup to put the Dukes up four ... he then hit 3-of-4 free throws over the final 24 seconds to seal the win ... has a 2.1-to-1 assist/turnover ratio (85-40) ... has made 13 more free throws (62-of-77) than any other DU player has attempted ... has flirted with a triple-double on four occasions (20 points, 7 assists & 7 steals at Saint Francis, Pa., 20 points, 10 rebounds & 6 assists in 28 minutes vs. Furman, 8 points, 7 rebounds and 7 assists vs. Old Dominion and 16 points, 7 rebounds and 8 assists vs. Rice) ... his seven steals at Saint Francis, Pa. tied the second-highest total in school history ... became the 13th player in school history to post 10 or more assists in a game with a career-high 10 at USC Upstate ... added nine assists vs. Bowling Green ... earned A-10 Player of the Week for a second time (Jan. 4) after averaging 16.5 points, 7.0 assists, 6.0 rebounds and 3.0 steals in wins at Robert Morris and vs. Bowling Green ... his 6.1 assists per game average is on pace to challenge the school record of 6.0 held by Norm Nixon ... Jackson is averaging a team-high 34.7 minutes/g.
- Freshman Oliver Lewinson has played in 10 games ... has logged double digit minutes three times (11 at Pitt, 12 at Radford and 10 vs. Old Dominion) ... had four points and three boards at Radford ... grabbed a season high six rebounds in seven minutes vs. NC Central
- Freshman Aleksandar Milovic logged a total of 11 minutes in two games before playing a season-high 19 at Pitt ... saw the added time due to injuries to two fellow forwards (David Theis, bruised kidney & Rodrigo Peggau, sore knee - were both not in uniform at Pitt) ... did not play at Radford or vs. WVU before seeing five minutes of action vs. ODU
- Freshman B.J. Monteiro started the first five games of the season ... posted season highs for points (7) and rebounds (4) in the opener vs. High Point ... his opening day start marked the fourth consecutive season at least one true freshman was in DU's opening day starting lineup ... current Dukes Aaron Jackson (2005-06) and Bill Clark (2007-08) also started the first game in their freshman year ... came off the bench to score 27 points in 70 minutes seven games prior to seeing his consecutive games streak snapped at 12 against Bowling Green also DNP vs. Charlotte
- Freshman Shawntez Patterson has played in two games (vs. High Point & at Robert Morris)
- Freshman Rodrigo Peggau played in four games before his season was ended prematurely by Dec. 18 right knee surgery ... originally underwent surgery on the knee in May and had a scope done Sept. 15 ... looked to be coming around, scoring five points in 19 seconds at Saint Francis and following that with eight points and seven rebounds in 16 minutes vs. Furman before knee pain took its toll ... will apply for a medical hardship waiver at the conclusion of the season ... freshman Chase Robinson has played in eight games with a season-high 13 minutes vs. Furman ... scored five in the opener vs. High Point ... 2-of-7 from the 3-point arc
- Sophomore Damian Saunders leads the team in rebounding (7.9 rpg.) and blocked shots (30) and is second in scoring (15.2 ppg.) ... has a team-best 40 offensive rebounds ... has scored in double digits in a team-high 13 of 14 games (season-opening streak of eight-straight ended with nine points vs. Old Dominion) ... has scored 20 or more three times (21 vs. High Point, 20 at USC Upstate & a career-high 22 at Duke) ... had a career-high six steals vs. High Point and tied his career high with four blocks at Pitt and vs. Bowling Green ... is shooting better from the field (.612) than he is from the foul line (27-of-49, .551) ... has four double-doubles (20-12 at Upstate, 22-10 at Duke, 18-10 vs. NC Central & 12-11 vs. Charlotte) ... named A-10 co-Player of the Week following the Duke game (11/30) ... has led the team in scoring four times and in rebounding 10 times ... has a team-high 23 dunks
- Sophomore David Theis was averaging 14.2 minutes in DU's first five games before being sidelined with a bruised kidney ... suffered the injury at USC Upstate and played a then career-high 27 minutes at Duke before experiencing discomfort ... had seven points at Duke and tied his career high with two steals vs. the Blue Devils ... missed the next two games at Pitt and at Radford ... was cleared to practice on Dec. 10 ... scored eight points in a career-best 34 minutes in his return game vs. WVU ... went 2-of-2 from the 3-point arc against the Mountaineers ... added a new career-high nine points and career-best five rebounds vs. Rice ... is scoreless with four field goal attempts in his past three games (27 total minutes) ... shooting .457, including 4-of-10 from the 3-point arc