2009-10 NON-CONFERENCE OPPONENTS
(Last season's final RPI in parentheses)
* Won conference championship tournament
More about each opponent is linked from school name.
postseason if any
|W/L||CONF.||W-L | Finish|
|Nov. 13||NICHOLLS STATE (156)||20-11||Southland||12-4 | 2nd (East)|
|+||at Iowa(124)||15-17||Big Ten||5-13 | 10th|
|++||Binghamton (88) NCAA (0-1)||23-9||America East*||13-3 | T1st|
|++||Illinois-Chicago (166)||6-15||Horizon League||7-11 | T6th|
|++||at Western Carolina (189)||16-15||Southern||11-9 | T1st (North)|
|Nov. 29||RADFORD (132) NCAA (0-1)||21-12||Big South*||15-3 | 1st|
|Dec. 2||PITTSBURGH (2) NCAA (3-1)||31-5||Big East||15-3 | T2nd|
|Dec. 5||SAVANNAH STATE (259)||15-14||Independent|
|Dec. 9||at West Virginia (22) NCAA (0-1)||23-12||Big East||12-8 | T7th|
|Dec. 12||ROBERT MORRIS (108) NCAA (0-1)||24-11||Northeast*||15-3 | 1st|
|Dec. 16||CANISIUS (207)||11-20||Metro Atlantic||4-14 | T9th|
|Dec. 19||at IUPUI (242)||16-14||Summit League||9-9 | 4th|
|Dec. 22||SAINT FRANCIS (PA) (322)||6-23||Northeast||3-15 | 11th|
|Dec. 30||at Old Dominion (81) CIT (Champs 4-0)||25-10||Colonial||12-6 | T3rd|
- HOME GAMES ARE IN CAPS, played at the Palumbo Center
- O'Reilly Auto Parts CBE Classic: Dukes open tournament at Iowa (+), one of the four CBE hosts that get an automatic spot in the semifinals (Nov. 23) at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo. After battling the Hawkeyes, Duquesne moves on to a regional round robin at Western Carolina (Nov. 15-18) in Cullowhee, N.C. Each school will play four games that count as three against the max allowed (29 plus conference tournament) by the NCAA. Last season's Atlantic 10 participant, Richmond, was 2-2 playing at Syracuse and Florida Gulf Coast in Fort Meyers, Fla. More on this later. (DC)
- Overall, DU will play 6 non-conference teams that made post-season appearances last year (5 NCAA, 1 CIT). In addition, Dayton, Temple and Xavier played in the NCAA tournament; Rhode Island was 1-1 in the NIT, and Richmond reached the CBI semifinals.
- Half of DU's 14 non-conference opponents won 20 or more games in 2008-09.
- Duquesne will face three teams ranked among the NCAAs Top 20 most improved teams from a year ago in Nicholls State (4th, 10-21 in 2007- 08 to 20-11 last year), Radford (tied for 5th, 10-20 to 21-12) and Binghamton (tied for 18th, 14-16 to 23-9).
- The Dukes will be facing six schools for the first time: Binghamton, Illinois-Chicago, IUPUI, Nicholls State, Savannah State and Western Carolina.
- The non-conference opponents have a combined record is 262-188 (.582). They have an average RPI of 149.9, between Arkansas and Southern Illinois)
More on this year's non-conference opponents
Binghamton: First meeting ... posted 23 wins on the way to earning the school's first conference championship (America East) and NCAA tournament bid ... return America East leading scorer D.J. Rivera (20.0 ppg.) who filed for early entry to the 2009 NBA draft before deciding to return for his senior season ... Rivera is a transfer from Saint Joseph's ... Binghamton was the nation's 18th-most improved team in 2008-09.
Canisius: DU leads series 9-5 ... first meeting since Dec. 7, 1999 ... returns all five starters.
Illinois-Chicago: First meeting ... won six of its final eight games ... lost just two players from a 16-win team.
Iowa: Iowa leads series 2-1 ... first meeting since Dec. 10, 1971 ... fourth meeting overall ... DU is 0-9 all-time in Big 10 arenas (0-2 at Iowa) ... 3-14 vs. Big 10 overall ... last win over a Big 10 team Dec. 28, 1973 over Illinois (85-83) in the consolation game of the Holiday Festival at Madison Square Garden.
Nicholls State: First meeting ... improved from 10 (10-21) to 20 wins (20-11) last season ... the improvment was the fourth-best in the nation.
Old Dominion • ODU leads series 4-1 ... returns all five starters from a team that won 10 of its final 11 games on the way to the CIT championship ... it was the school's fifth-straight postseason appearance ... handed the Dukes their second-worst loss - and worst home loss - of the season in 2008-09 (86-60 on Dec. 17).
Robert Morris: DU leads series 14-5 ... coming off back-to-back postseason tournament appearances ... has won two straight NEC regular season titles.
Saint Francis, Pa.: DU leads series 60-12 ... the Dukes own more wins over Saint Francis than any other school ... SFU is in its second season under head coach Don Friday.
Savannah State: First meeting ... Duquesne's opponent in the first Chuck Cooper Classic ... the Savannah State game will be preceded by a game between Davis & Elkins and West Virginia State ... Cooper, the man who officially integrated professional basketball when he was drafted by the NBA Boston Celtics in April of 1950, began his college career at West Virginia State before enrolling at Duquesne after enlisting in the military late in World War II.
West Virginia: WVU leads the series 48-36 ... widely considered a preseason Top 15 team (No. 5 by NBCSports.com, No. 6 by Chicago Tribune, No. 9 by Sports Illustrated (Fan Nation), No. 13 by Rivals.com) ... has made six straight postseason appearances ... is Duquesne's all-time most frequent non-conference opponent ... this will be game No. 85.
Western Carolina: First meeting ... returns 2009 SoCon Freshman of the Year Harouna Mutombo ... went 11-2 at home last season and has won 13 of its past 15 games at the Ramsey Center ... lose just one player from 2009.
- Duquesne non-conference schedule press release
- Final 2009 RPI
- College Basketball Experience (CBE) website
- Schedule in .pdf format
- Analysis in .pdf format