O'Reilly Auto Parts CBE Classic - ESPNU
Tuesday, Nov. 17, 2009 • 9:00 p.m. (EST)
Carver-Hawkeye Arena (15,500) • Iowa City, Iowa
DUKES AT IOWA
Duquesne, coming off an 85-62 season-opening win over Nicholls State on Friday, hits the road for the first time this season to face Iowa (hosted UTSA Sunday night) in the opening round of the O'Reilly Auto Parts CBE Classic on Tuesday, Nov. 17. The game, set for a 9:00 (EST) tip, will be televised live by ESPNU as part of ESPN's College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon.
Iowa leads the overall series 2-1 ... this is the first meeting since an 80-75 Duquesne win at Pittsburgh's Civic Arena on Dec. 10, 1971 ... the last time DU played at Iowa (Dec. 11, 1969) the No. 7 (AP) Dukes were upset by the Hawkeyes, 98-87 ... the two first met on Dec. 9, 1929 with Iowa posting a 35-29 home win.
VS. THE BIG TEN
Duquesne is 0-9 all-time in Big 10 arenas (0-2 at Iowa) and 3-14 vs. the Big 10 overall ... Duquesne's last win over the Big 10 team was on Dec. 28, 1973 over Illinois (85-83) in the consolation game of the Holiday Festival at Madison Square Garden.
- Duquesne returns four starters from last year's 21-13 NIT team
- The 2009 Dukes defeated six teams that went on to play in either the NCAA tourney or NIT
- DU's 21 wins last season were the most since the 1971 NCAA team went 21-4
- DU, which has gone 10-19, 17-13 & 21-13 in three seasons under head coach Ron Everhart, is looking for its third consecutive winning campaign ... the last time that happened on the Bluff was from 1968-73 when Red Manning's Dukes finished above .500 six straight timesDuquesne was coming off a 3-24 season, and hadn't finished above .500 since 1994, when Everhart took over prior in 2006-07
- Juniors Damian Saunders (second team) and Bill Clark (third team) were named preseason All-Atlantic 10 by league coaches and media ... Saunders was named A-10 Co-Player of the Week on Sunday for his 17-point, 19-rebound, four-steal, five-assist performance in DU's season-opening win over Nicholls State
- Duquesne was picked to finish tied for fifth in the A-10 (with Temple)
- Ssenior Jason Duty is one of 30 candidates for the Lowe's Senior CLASS Award
- DU is 10-8 in non-conference road games under Ron Everhart.
NOTES FROM THE OPENER
Duquesne rallied from a five-points deficit early in the second half to post an 85-62 season-opening win over Nicholls State in the the opener for both schools ... junior forward Damian Saunders, who was named one of the nation's top 10 "Stat Sheet Stuffers" by Rivals.com in October, showed why with 17 points, a career-high 19 rebounds, five assists and four steals in 35 minutes ... he was named Atlantic 10 co-Player of the Week for his effort ... it was his second career A-10 POW honor ... Bill Clark scored all of his 19 points in 18 second half minutes to spearhead DU's comeback ... Clark hit 8-of-10 second half field goal attempts ... sophomore Eric Evans, who was making his first career start, settled down to post a career-high nine assists ... Evans, who had four assists and five turnovers at the half, did not turn it over in 18 second-half minutes ... Melquan Bolding's game-high 25 points were one shy of his career high set last year against George Washington ... Duquesne shot .552 for the game ... the Dukes held Nicholls to .323 shooting in the second half and .393 for the game ... DU which had 12 turnovers at the half, turned it over just four times in the final 20 minutes.