opening tip... Wednesday's game between Mount St. Mary's and Duquesne marks the fifth meeting in the all-time series dating back to the 1983-84 season.
- The Dukes have won the last two meetings in the series, including a 66-59 win last season in Emmitsburg.
- The Mount's last win in the matchup was a 68-65 decision on Dec. 4, 1996 in Emmitsburg.
- It marks the second-straight season the Mount plays Duquesne in the second game of the season and the third-consecutive time the two teams have met in the first two games of a campaign.
about the dukes... Duquesne comes into the contest 2-0 after wins against Cornell (74-69) on Friday and against Niagara (100-69) on Sunday.
- Duquesne marks the second-straight Mount opponent that participated in the 2009 Women's National Invitational Tournament.
- Sophomore F Alex Gensler leads the team with 17.5 points and 4.5 rebounds per game. The sophomore registered 15 points against the Big Red and 20 points against the Purple Raiders.
- Senior F Samantha Pollino ranks second on the squad with 16.5 points and 7.0 rebounds per game. Pollino tallied 19 points and 12 rebounds against Cornell and 14 points against Niagara.
- Senior G Rachel Frederick is third on the team with 11.5 points and 5.0 rebounds per game. Frederick had 14 points in the win against the Purple Raiders.
- Senior G Keri Pryor is averaging 10.0 points and 6.0 rebounds per game. The senior had 16 points and nine rebounds against the Big Red.
last time we met... Duquesne defeated Mount St. Mary's 66-59 on Nov. 19, 2008. Brianna Gauthier paced the Mount with 14 points, six rebounds and four assists while Hassanah Oliver added 11 points in the loss. Keri Pryor led the Dukes with 20 points and Alex Gensler chipped in 14 points off the bench in the winning effort.
last time out... Senior Hassanah Oliver and sophomore Sandra Andresson tallied 13 points to lead Mount St. Mary's past Canisius 55-51 on Saturday. Oliver added seven rebounds and five assists while Andresson scored the go-ahead basket with 2:36 remaining. Sophomore Courtney Nyce recorded five of her career-high seven points in the decisive 13-5 run in the final four minutes of the game.
take two... Mount St. Mary's improved to 21-15 in the inaugural game of the year, thanks to the squad's first win in the season opener in Emmitsburg since 1992-93.
- The Mount has gone on to post a winning season in 18 of the 20 times the squad has won the opener.
- Mount St. Mary's looks to improve to 2-0 for the first time since 1996-97 when the squad defeated Radford and UMBC to open the year. The team has started 2-0 four times since joining Division I.
- The Mount has started the last two seasons 1-1 and has been 1-1 10 times since switching to Division I in 1988-89.
next on tap... Mount St. Mary's, who opens the season with 10 of its first 13 games on the road, heads to Radford on Saturday.
a career day to write about... Sophomore Sandra Andresson tied a career-high with 13 points against Canisius on Nov. 14. Andresson also posted 13 points in last year's meeting against the Golden Griffins.
- Sophomore Courtney Nyce also scored a career-high seven points
preseason poll... The Mount St. Mary's women's basketball team has been selected to finish eighth, according to the NEC Preseason Coaches' Poll.
we will leave a light on for you... Mount St. Mary's will play 12 of it first 15 games on the road.
- In 2004-05, the Mount opened the year with 13 of 17 on the road.
- The squad will also embark on a 10-game road trip and will not have a home game for 46 days between Nov. 28 and Jan. 14.
- It marks the first time in program history the Mountaineers will travel for 10-straight road contests.
- The previous longest road trip was seven games in 2004-05.
home sweet home...The women's basketball team is one win away from its 200th victory at Knott Arena.
in the non-conference slate... Mount St. Mary's is 68-101 in non-conference games since joining the Northeast Conference in 1989-90.
three keys to whitten success... The Mount is most successful under head coach Bryan Whitten when the squad leads at halftime, in rebounding or keeps the opponent under 60 points.
- The Mount is 15-8 when he holds the lead at halftime, 2-0 when the game is tied, but just 6-30 when trailing at the break.
- The squad is 11-8 when it holds a rebounding edge in a game, but just 11-27 when the opponent has the advantage and 1-3 when the the two teams have equal boards.
- Mount St. Mary's is 16-14 when it holds opponents under 60 points.
- The Mount was 10-5 in 2008-09 when holding opponents under 60 points.
- Dunn ranks sixth in career rebounding average (7.5) at the Mount while Westbrooks ranks ninth (7.0).
- Westbrooks ranked sixth in the league in rebounds per game (7.8) and Dunn ranked ninth (7.3) in 2008-09.
- Dunn ranks 10th in Mount Division I history with 10 career double-doubles. The junior posted seven in her first year and three last year.
?Westbrooks notched six double-doubles in 2008-09 and ranks 13th in Mount Division I history.
howlin' mark on the mount record books... Junior Lauren Howell has inserted her name all of the Mount's 3-point record in her first two seasons in Emmitsburg.
- Ranks second in career 3-point percentage (.401).
- Ranks fourth in 3-pointers made (110). Next on the list is former teammate Dominique Mazzuchi (121, 2004-08).
- Ranks sixth in 3-point attempts (274). Next on the list is Samira Rashid (299, 2002-06).
- Set an individual game record by going 7-for-7 at Wagner on Jan. 28, 2008.
- Posted the fourth most made 3-pointers in a single game, hitting seven treys twice at Wagner. Also holds the ninth-best mark with six made against St. Francis (N.Y.) on Jan. 7, 2008.
- Tied the NCAA Division I record with 14-straight 3-pointers in her freshman campaign.
the underlining whit... Head coach Bryan Whitten enters his third season at the Mount in 2009-10. The Mount is 23-38 overall under Whitten.
collegiate debut... Freshmen Selina Mann and Jamie Halloran each made their collegiate debut against Canisius on Nov. 14.
- Mann posted five points, three steals, two rebounds and one assist in 20 minutes.
- Halloran grabbed one rebound in three minutes.
- The Top-4 teams in the NEC last season (Sacred Heart, Central Connecticut State, Saint Francis (Pa.) and Quinnipiac) only had two players average 30 minutes per game.
- Senior Hassanah Oliver played 30 minutes in 22 of the 30 contests last season, including playing 40 minutes eight times.
- Junior Mary Dunn played 30 minutes in 24 of 30 games in 2008--09, including playing 40 minutes three times. The Mount was 5-1 when the junior did not play 30 minutes in a game.
- Junior Lauren Howell played 30 minutes in only six games last season, but she averaged 15.6 points per game and the Mount was 5-1 in those contests.
- Junior Leah Westbrooks played 30 minutes in 21 of the 30 games last season, including five 40-minute performances. The squad was 2-7 when she did not play 30 minutes.
tops in the league... Mount St. Mary's has posted the most wins in the Northeast Conference since joining the league in 1989-90 with 235 victories.
- The Mount has the second-most wins in league history, trailing only Monmouth (241).
- The Mount is 235-199 in Northeast Conference play, including 131-49 at Knott Arena and 104-70 on the road.