Pirates Take Two Against Huskies

East Carolina finished the final few innings of game one to get the win and then clinched a series win with a 11-9 win in game two.

The weather could not hold up in Connecticut forcing the two teams to complete game one on Saturday. In a wild finish the Pirates took game one 4-3, then geared up for game two in just under an hour. East Carolina scored 11 runs in game two and clinched the series. 

Evan Kruczynski pitched six scoreless frames before rain postponed play. In those six innings, Kruczynski struck out eight Huskies and only allowed four hits. Matt Bridges took over for Kruczynski when the Pirates resumed play on Saturday. 

Sam Lanier and Joe Ingle were both needed to finish off the stingy Huskies. Lanier walked the first two batters, then Ingle came in to relieve Lanier. Ingle also walked the first batter he faced to load the bases. Bryan Daniello then cleared the bases with a triple to bring the score to 4-3. With no outs and the tying run on third, Ingle struck out the next three Huskies to notch his 10th save of the season. 

In game two Jimmy Boyd struggled to keep the Huskies offense contained, allowing five runs, three of those earned. Boyd's day lasted only four innings and was replaced by Bridges in the fifth. 

Trailing 6-4 to start the seventh, the Pirates scored five runs to take the lead. The first run scored came off a throwing error by the catcher, scoring Dwanya Williams-Sutton. Charlie Yorgen's single and Travis Watkins two RBI double scored three more runs in the inning. 

With a 11-9 lead, the Pirates had some luck closing the door in the final inning. Ingle hit the first batter in the ninth inning. The next batter, Jack Sundberg, was called out on strikes, but the strikeout call was delayed by the home plate umpire. The delayed call led the runner on first to think that the call was ball four. As the runner started to make his way towards second, Watkins threw the ball to Bryce Harman at first to tag the runner for the second out. Williams-Sutton recorded the final out after a diving catch in left field. 

Inside ECU Sports Top Stories