The message is simple, yet critical. Ask Virginia Tech. They parlayed a heartbreaking loss to Boise State into an even more devastating defeat to James Madison. The final results on the schedule will mark one loss against Boise State and one against James Madison, but in reality the double dose of defeat can be traced back to the game with the Broncos.
(It also had something to do with the ACC's ongoing willingness to have a league team play a Monday night made-for-television game followed by another game 5 days later — see Florida State last year with 2 games in the season's opening week, against Miami and Jacksonville State. But that's another topic for another column.)
Either way, the message still holds true: Don't let one team beat you twice.
The Oklahoma onslaught is over. The final score won't change. Weeks from now, months from now, years from now….the ledger will still read Sooners 47 Seminoles 17.
So what's most important now for the ‘Noles is the next score in that ledger. And whether or not FSU has a "W" or an "L" next to its name.
It sounds like FSU's senior leader Christian Ponder, understands that point.
"I will never have a game like this again," says a determined Ponder. "I'm going to use it as motivation. It hurts. You want something so bad and you lose a game like this it's definitely not the way you wanted it to go. I know it's going to motivate me to work harder and never let this happen again."
Those don't sound like the words of someone planning for one team to beat him twice.
We'll see this weekend … and I'll see you from the sidelines on Primetime Noles.
Notes on the ‘Noles and Cougars
• Dustin Hopkins ranks 2nd nationally in touchbacks with 9 (out of 13 kickoffs this year)
• BYU ranks 1st nationally in kickoff coverage, and FSU struggled with its return game last week.
• FSU has played 13 true freshmen this year, tied for the 2nd highest total in the country.
• Only 5 times nationally have won at least 10 games over the last 4 seasons: Virginia Tech, Texas, Boise State, Ohio State, and BYU.
• How's this for a list of NFL Head Coaches past and present with ties to FSU or BYU? Bill Parcells, Dan Henning, Joe Gibbs (all former FSU assistant coaches); Mike Holmgren, Andy Reid, and Brian Billick (former BYU assistants or players)
• FSU's honorary captains for Saturday's game are former quarterback Gary Huff and former linebacker Sam Cowart.
• BYU has 31 players on its roster who are married.
• Two keys cited by Jimbo Fisher today on his conference call with the media: Tackling better in open space and converting better on third down.
• Saturday is Military Appreciation Day at Doak Campbell Stadium with an Air Force flyover scheduled to take place before kickoff.
• The start time for FSU's next contest against Wake Forest will be announced Sunday.