The Seminoles return seven starters from last year in the field and two of the three pitchers from the weekend rotation a year ago including Luke Weaver who is expected to go in the first round of the 2014 draft. Florida State lost closer Robbie Coles from last season, but Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston is the leading candidate to fill that role.
The Seminoles will see two new comers in the starting lineup on Friday. Superstar freshman Ben DeLuzio and Juco transfer Danny De La Calle. Deluzio was drafted in the third round of the 2013 draft by the Marlins, but chose to come to Florida State instead. He will get the start in center field. De La Calle will get the start behind the plate in place of Stephen McGee.
Head coach Mike Martin has not announced a starting line up yet, but this is what it is expected to be.
1. Josh Delph - RF – Delph hit .270 last season but had an on base percentage of .468.
2. Ben DeLuzio - CF – DeLuzio is a freshman. He hit .448 as a senior in high school.
3. D.J. Stewart – LF – Stewart hit .364 last season He had an on base percentage of .469 with 5 homeruns.
4. Justin Gonzalez – SS – Gonzalez was injured early in the season. He hit .278 in five games.
5. Jose Brizuela – 3rd – Brizuela hit .324 last season and had an on base percentage of .422.
6. John Nogowski – 1st – Nogowski hit .277 with an on base percentage of .412.
7. Brett Knief – DH – Knief hit .333 with an on base percentage of .435.
8. Danny De La Calle – C – De La Calle is a Juco transfer. He hit .325 for Miami Dade College.
9. John Sansone – 2nd – Sansone hit .233, but had an on base percentage of .379.
1. Luke Weaver – RHP – Weaver had a 2.29 ERA last season. He went 7-2 with 119 strikeouts.
2. Brandon Liebrandt – LHP – Liebrandt had a 3.44 ERA last season. He went 10-4 with 77 strikeouts.
3. Mike Compton – RHP – Compton had a 2.87 ERA in 2012. He went 12-2 with 64 strikeouts.
Florida State returns several stellar relief pitchers including Gage Smith, Billy Strode, and Jameis Winston. The Seminoles also return midweek pitcher Peter Miller who posted a 3.55 ERA in 13 starts last season.
Florida State opens the season up at home against Niagara at 4 PM on Friday, February 14th. The second game is on Saturday at 2 PM, and close out the series Sunday at 11:30 AM.