Florida State dominated the Citadel Bulldogs en route to a 37-12 victory. The 25-point margin may not look very impressive, but the first team offense scored on every possession, and the Bulldogs’ triple option offense ate up a lot of clock, which led to the Seminoles only getting nine possessions the entire game. Here are my Rapid Reactions from today’s game and other games around the country.
1. Three FSU defensive tackles went down very early in the game, and although Florida State will need those guys to be healthy it was probably a good thing that the younger defensive tackles were able to play so much. Derrick Nnadi looked outstanding in his time with the first team, as did Derrick Mitchell and Desmond Hollin. DeMarcus Christmas, Keith Bryant, and Giorgio Newberry were also able to get reps as well, with more mixed returns.
2. Lorenzo Featherston will block a punt this year. He almost got to two tonight.
3. Bobo Wilson will be Winston’s go-to target when teams try to take away Rashad Greene. Wilson looked great tonight.
4. Dalvin Cook ran very angry tonight. He hit the holes hard and showed elite speed on all of his runs.
5. Austin Barron really needs to step up. He had trouble holding his ground quite a bit, and seemed to have a few missed assignments. Against the Citadel that won’t cause much damage, but against Grady Jarrett and Clemson it’s a real concern.
6. The team needs to learn to tackle and do it quickly. The tackling in the past two games has been poor, and that will need to be fixed before Clemson.
7. Nick Waisome did not play well tonight. He struggled to get off blocks and missed several key tackles on the edge. If he wants to get more playing time, he needs to be more physical.
8. Mario Pender was a shoelace tackle away from breaking four or five runs tonight. He’s going to break a more than a few long runs this season.
9. Ermon Lane was very impressive. On his corner route Winston threw to an area rather than waiting to see if Lane would be there, demonstrating trust between the two. Further development here could be big for Florida State’s red zone performance.
10. Florida State should never schedule another low-level option team again. They are a pain to prepare for, and the amount of cut blocking in that scheme is dangerous for the FSU defensive linemen.
Around the Country:
1. Oregon absolutely demolished Michigan State in the second half of that game. Very impressive showing by the Ducks and Marcus Mariota. Expect Oregon to take a few first place votes from Florida State this week.
3. Notre Dame blew out the Michigan in the last game the two schools will play for quite awhile. Everett Golson coming back has made the Irish a very dangerous team. Hail to the Victors is still a better fight song though.