Cody Riggs is one of the top cornerbacks in a class that is absolutely loaded with depth in-state for 2010. What Cody lacks in size he more than makes up for in pure cover skills, great closing speed and overall awareness of where he is on the field.
His capabilities as a defensive back have lead to offers from dozens of programs all over the nation, but recently the 5'9 ½" 170 pound corner trimmed his list to a top 5. Cody told NoleDigest that he wanted to get his list down because he knew these were the schools he wanted to focus on.
"I've been getting a lot of phone calls since I trimmed down to my top 5," said south Florida standout. "I was kind of hoping that doing that would lessen the calls but it is all good. I'm just happy I have this opportunity. Getting this list down was important because I didn't want to waste other school's time, and I knew these were the schools I wanted to really look at. I've been eyeing these schools for a while now so I figured it was time."
The schools that made his final list, in order, are Georgia, Florida, Notre Dame, Tennessee and Florida State. Cody talked about what he likes about each.
• Georgia: "It starts with Coach Richt. He is a religious man and my parents like that a lot. He is a coach that will be there for a while. I also like Willie Martinez. He used to play at Bethune Cookman with my step-dad so there is familiarity there. He is a nice person to talk to. I like their facilities as they are some of the best you'll see."
• Florida: "The coaches at UF are upbeat and they are very competitive guys. Florida is a place where I could go and work with the best every day. Major Wright was telling me it is very high energy there. Also, they've won 2 titiles over the past 3 years."
• Notre Dame: "They were my leader for a while until Georgia and Florida offered. I really like Corwin Brown. He is passionate about football. Also Notre Dame is a place that when I graduate I would have a lot of connections after college. They have nice facilities and I'd play on television every game."
• Tennessee: "Monte Kiffin is a defensive legend. They are upbeat and I like what they are doing. My brother still lives in Knoxville so he could let me know what's going on there."
• Florida State: "I grew up following FSU. They've been putting people in the league for a while now. It is a nice place and everyone knows the college life there is good. There is a lot of history there."
Riggs says that FSU came after him hard when they initially offered, but soon after they backed off of him for a while. He says that has played a role and that the Seminoles barely made his top 5.
"FSU sits in the 5th spot because they just started recruiting me again recently," said Riggs. "After the Georgia camp it really picked up. At first when they offered me they were coming after me hard, but after that they kind of backed off some. I'd say that has hurt them and that they've lost ground. Honestly the list could change as who's number 5. I considered Ole Miss, Wake Forest, USF, West Virginia and some others for the 5th spot. I've talked to Coach Coley, Coach Trickett and all of the other coaches lately and they've all told me they really want me there."
Riggs plans on making visits to FSU's Seminole Showtime and Florida's Friday Night Lights. Other than that he doesn't have any summer plans set.
Stay tuned to NoleDigest for further updates with Riggs, as well as the rest of the targets from the 2010 recruiting class.
Cody Riggs Talks Top 5 and FSU
Nole Digest Top Stories
FSU's Walker is ACC Defensive Player of YearDemarcus Walker is the ACC Defensive Player of the Year for 2016.
Nole DigestWednesday at 3:03 PM
Miami Commit Back from FSU Official VisitScout 300 offensive tackle and longtime Miami Hurricanes commit, Navaughn Donaldson, dishes out the latest after spending this past weekend with Jimbo Fisher's Florida State…
Scout FootballTuesday at 4:59 PM
Deondre Francois is ACC Rookie of the YearFlorida State Seminoles freshman Deondre Francois is the 2016 ACC Overall Rookie of the Year and the ACC Offensive Rookie of the Year.
Nole DigestTuesday at 11:17 AM
Florida State WR Target Promoted to 5-StarsDetroit Cass Tech wide receiver Donovan Peoples-Jones is now a five-star on Scout, a little later than many expected, but with his outstanding career and senior season complete,…
Scout FootballTuesday at 8:26 AM
Obiagu is headed to Florida StateFlorida State lands key target Ike Obiagu, and he should add to a loaded frontcourt
Scout HoopsMonday at 1:56 PM