Florida State has been on a roller coaster over the past few weeks with their recruitment. After gaining a lot of steam after Matt Elam's commitment some thought the Seminoles were heading for a top 3 class.
A week later Elam flipped back to Florida and Tavaris Barnes decommitted from FSU for Clemson. While the past week hasn't been what FSU wanted there still is plenty of time for the ‘Noles to close with a strong class.
There are a few recruits remaining on the board that are must gets, players that the coaches need to reel in if they want to continue their climb back to the nation's elite. NoleDigest gives their top 5 recruits FSU must finish with in order to make that climb back happen. We also give a prediction on the Seminoles' chances at this time.
1) Corey Lemonier: Corey is by far the top remaining target on FSU's board primarily because of need. With Barnes' decommitment that leaves 4-star Darious Cummings as the lone defensive end in this class at this time. FSU needs to sign at the least 2 but 3 would be ideal. Corey is the best in the state and he is an instant impact recruit. The Seminoles are battling Tennessee, Miami and a few others for Lemonier's signature. FSU has as good a chance as any to land Corey as they offer the environment, coaches and immediate playing time he is looking for.
2) Terrence Mitchell: Mitchell is high on the board here because FSU needs as much help in the secondary as they do on the front 4. FSU has landed a good set of defensive backs do far in 2010 but Mitchell could make this a great haul. With Patrick Robinson leaving and a possible move to offense for A.J. Alexander that creates a larger need for a player of Terrence's potential. FSU looks to be in great shape with Mitchell as a commitment is possible any day now.
3) Bjoern Werner: Werner is all about upside as he is new to the game of football. At 6'4" 270+ pounds he has great size, and he plays with elite speed for a player his size. FSU has been trying to recruit Werner for a while, but now it seems both sides are picking up interest in each other. With the need for defensive tackles Werner is as important as any recruit in this class. FSU is battling a host of schools at this time. While a month ago it didn't look likely that FSU had a shot at Werner, now they look to be a leader as his official visit is in 2 weeks.
4) Christian Jones: Jones is important for 2 reasons: the first is FSU needs linebackers and Jones is the best outside linebacker on the board and one of the best in the country; the other reason is that he is a legacy thus losing him would be a major blow to the class. Jones has remained steadfast in not making a decision until Signing Day. He has done a good job of not tipping his hand throughout his recruitment as 5 different schools feel they have a shot at him. With his father and brother playing at FSU it is going to be hard to beat them in the end.
5) Christian Green: Green is a true playmaker and he showed over his senior year and at the USAAB practices that he is a legit star on the next level. Like Jones FSU has a tie to FSU. While the ‘Noles have 3 wide receiver committed Green is a big, physical threat Coach Fisher likes. Florida has gotten back into it with Christian but this is down to FSU and Georgia and FSU gets their shot when he visits in a few weeks. FSU has a great shot here.
FSU Top 5 Remaining Targets
Nole Digest Top Stories
History On FSU's Side With Top-5 RankingFlorida State was ranked No. 4 in the preseason AP Poll, and their history says that's a good sign for Seminole fans.
FSU No. 4 In Preseason AP PollFlorida State will start the season as a preseason Top-5 team.
FSU QB Malik Henry SuspendedFlorida State will be without quarterback Malik Henry indefinitely.
FSU 8/20 Practice Report and HighlightsFlorida State went through their first practice of Saturday's two-a-days in pads.