2011's recruiting class is starting to pick up the pace as Junior Days, camps and combines are getting underway. Many top targets have been on the map for a while now, thus the fact they're getting interest from big-time BCS programs.
This is also the time when new targets burst onto the scene as junior film, combine performances and camps provide others a chance to shine. While they'll be changes throughout the process Florida State has been targeting a group of defensive ends. NoleDigest gives an early look at the position and previews some of the names fans should look out for.
1) Jadeveon Clowney: Clowney is one of the best defensive ends to come out of the Southeast over the past several years. Clowney has elite size, great burst and has the speed not often seen in a guy 6'6" 235 pounds. Clowney is a dominating force; as a junior he had 140 tackles, over 20 sacks and 29 TFLs. Clowney hasn't said much about FSU yet but they feel this kid is a "freak", and he is one of the top overall targets on the board.
2) Ray Drew: Like Clowney Drew has elite size. Drew has shown at the camps and combines he's gone to so far that he is going to be a force on the next level. Drew says he is open to everyone at this time. FSU was his favorite growing up and they stand a great chance of landing him.
3) Anthony Rabasa: While Anthony doesn't have the size of other at this stage he is a guy who is a speed rusher. Rabasa has a nice frame at 6'3" 220 pounds and he plays against some of the best competition in the nation in S. Florida. Rabasa just got offered by FSU and Miami, and a slew of others are in the process of evaluating him.
4) Curt Maggitt: Curt is lean at this time but he is simply an elite defensive end. He has a frame to add more size and strength, and he is one of the fastest ends in Florida. Once this guy adds the final pieces he has the tools to be the best on this list in college. FSU is one of many schools in contention at this time.
5) Xzavier Dickson: The attributes common on this list are players with size, speed and power. Dickson has all of those attributes. Georgia will be tough to beat here.
Other targets to watch closely at this stage: Brandon Fulse (is more of an athlete right now), Anthony Chickillo, Ryan Shazier, Giorgio Newberry, Giovanni Francois and Jarquez Samuel.
Early Look at 2011: Defensive Ends
Nole Digest Top Stories
ACC Football Roundup: Week 5 Top StoriesAll you need to know about ACC teams leading into Week Five of the college football season.
ScoutYesterday at 12:21 PM
Updated Scout 300 Trend Meter For 2017The updated Scout 300 Trend Meter for the 2017 class takes a look at which schools are trending for each uncommitted member in the Scout 300.
Scout FootballMonday at 11:15 AM
No. 1 DT Trying to Chop Down Recruiting ListWith scholarship offers from coast-to-coast Scout five-star and No. 1 rated defensive tackle Marvin Wilson is trying to find that right combination for his final three official…