Jeff Demps, Mike Gillislee and Mack Brown all need more touches out of the backfield in that order, say in the neighborhood of 17, 12 and 7. I will still try and get Emmanuel Moody five carries a game. I am talking about 40-plus carries a game roughly between the four tailbacks, impose your will on the defense, suck the life right out of them and let them know it's going to be a long day. I always thought playing a team with a great running game was like bleeding to death, not much you can do about it.
The offensive line was improved on Saturday but I am still waiting for the starting unit to get back in play this weekend in Knoxville. Marcus Gilbert, Carl Johnson, Michael Pouncey, Jon Halapio and Maurice Hurt looked at times pretty good against South Florida but I want to see what they do once back to their original positions. I think it will pay off big down the road (the cross training), however, I always kind of thought it diminished the natural starting position to a certain degree taking practice time away from the position each individual is best at. I do however see the need for cross training your offensive line.
The wide receiver unit or "duo" of Carl Moore and Deonte Thompson are average wideouts in this league. They are serviceable type playmakers that lack a little consistency on game day. This offense will not be truly effective until the "Young Guns" are given an opportunity to show what they can do under real live fire. Chris Dunkley, Andre Debose, Robert Clark, Quinton Dunbar, Stephen Alli, Jordan Reed and I will even include Frankie Hammond in this group are all guys that need touches. There is only one ball but it will be very important these players get touches. Once this group (some or all) gets "it" and starts playing a bit faster or more healthy the sky is the limit for the offensive side of the ball. They are all weapons in their own right and can make an impact for Meyer's club and it might start this weekend in Knoxville.
While the first two games have been close this offense and defense has been 100 percent vanilla and this weekend you should see the entire package as the Gators open conference play against Tennessee.
* Florida running backs are averaging 7.9 yards per carry for the year (51 carries for 403 yards).
* Trent Richardson is the best back in the country
* Boise State will never play for a BCS National Title
* The ACC is the worst "Big Conference" in America
* Marcus Lattimore is a beast
* If Bob Stoops played anyone but his brother they would have put up 75 this past Saturday
* Halftime numbers between Oklahoma quarterback Landry Jones (21-27, 309 yards and three TDs) and Christian Ponder (8-17, 80 yards, no TDs)
* Same old Jacory Harris. Will throw for a ton of yards but makes bad decisions with the ball at crucial times of the game. All four picks were not on him though as twice it appeared the wideout ran the wrong route.
* Quarterback Steve Threet (Arizona State) had 391 yards passing with three TDs
* Quarterback Ryan Mallett (Arkansas) had 400 yards passing with two TDs
* Quarterback Denard Robinson (Michigan) had 502 of his team's 530-plus yards of offense vs. Notre Dame on Saturday. What do they all have in common? Threet/Mallett both former Michigan QBs
Monday Morning Quarterback
Fightin Gators Top Stories
Franz Beard's Thoughts of the Day; April 24A few thoughts to jump start your Monday morning...
Fightin GatorsYesterday at 8:52 PM
Scout 150 DT Impressed by Gators, CanesRick Sandidge took a tour through the Sunshine State this past weekend. The Scout 150 defensive tackle made stops at both Miami and Florida and both schools are now firmly in the…
Fightin GatorsYesterday at 1:03 PM
Brantley now charged with misdemeanor batteryFormer University of Florida defensive tackle Caleb Brantley has now been charged with misdemeanor battery in an altercation that occurred on April 13 according to Gainesville…
Fightin GatorsYesterday at 1:03 PM
Gators look to finish strongWhile they haven’t quite lived up to preseason billing just yet, the Florida Gators look to be on a path to finish strong and possibly secure another top national seed come NCAA…
Fightin GatorsYesterday at 12:31 PM
Four chasing Top 70 PG Devon Dotson hardestNEW YORK - Already entering the UnderArmour Association ranked 68tg in the 2018 class by Scout, Devon Dotson has done nothing to hurt his stock this weekend. Which four schools are…
Scout HoopsSaturday at 6:04 PM