The Chargers look to be looking for
excuses not to draft QB Eli Manning. Why?
I expect them to trade this pick, most likely to the Giants.
If they hold on to the No. 1 spot they should select Manning or OT Robert Gallery. If New York trades up for
this selection it's for Manning.
2). Oakland – Robert Gallery (OT) Iowa
Not a sexy pick for Raider owner Al
Davis but you don't turn down an offensive lineman like Gallery.
Oakland also loves wide receivers Larry Fitzgerald and Roy Williams.
Having said that, don't be surprised if Oakland trades down, perhaps to
Cleveland for this spot. The Browns
would love to draft Gallery. If
this trade goes down the Raiders could likely get wide receiver Roy Williams at
No. 7. Washington is also looking to trade up to draft Gallery as
3) Arizona – Larry Fitzgerald (WR) Pittsburgh
If Fitzgerald is sitting there with
the Cards on the clock, Dennis Green will not hesitate to snatch up this
Panther. If Oakland takes him at
two what will Arizona do? Do they
go after a quarterback, pick safety Sean Taylor or perhaps trade down?
I fully expect the Giants to trade up
with the Chargers and select Manning. If
things don't work out what would they do at No. 4?
They have a need at safety and Sean Taylor could be there for the taking.
But would they turn down Roethlisberger?
It doesn't look like Gallery will slide this far down.
If San Diego does swap their pick with New York I think they make
Roethlisberger a Charger.
5) Washington – Kellen Winslow (TE) Miami
Kellen Winslow, Jr. would be the
perfect fit for Joe Gibbs in Washington. I
think that's his pick unless they make a move up for Gallery or they decide on
super safety Sean Taylor.
6) Detroit – Sean Taylor (S) Miami
If Detroit stays put at No. 6 I think
they select Sean Taylor from Miami. To
me, he is the best player in this draft and a future Pro Bowler. But the Lions love running back Stephen Jackson and they
could select him here or trade down and get Jackson later.
The Browns would love to make a trade
up for Gallery. They would also
love to draft Winslow or Taylor but I think all three are gone at this point. There is obviously the chance that Roethlisberger slides to
seven but I think Butch Davis and the Browns will make Hall there pick.
He is a shut down corner that can make a big impact soon and he is also
an outstanding kick returner.
8) Atlanta – Vince Wilfork (DT) Miami
I think this is the selection of the
Falcons but I think they trade down and get this big D-tackle from Miami later
on in the first round. The Falcons
have many glaring needs and could go in three or four directions but I think
they go D-line with pick one. Other
possibilities if Atlanta goes another route are Hall (if still on board) and Roy
Williams. It could be Williams if the Falcons stand pat at No. 8.
Kenechi Udeze seems to be the guy here
but the Jags are hoping Roy Williams slides to No. 9. Or
the Jags could be bold and trade up to get Williams.
The Texans need help in the secondary
and at D-tackle. Do they go with
Dunta Robinson or Tommie Harris? Robinson
gets the nod here.
11.) Pittsburgh – Phillip Rivers (QB) N.C. State
The Steelers are going to be holding
their breath for ten picks hoping Rivers makes it to No. 11.
The Jets need help at linebacker and
in the secondary. I don't think
Robinson or Hall fall this far and New York takes a Miami linebacker.
But which one? I think Vilma
ends up a Jet on Saturday.
The Bills have glaring needs across
the board but you don't turn down a player like Roy Williams at No. 13. That's a steal for Buffalo if he is available.
Roethlisberger is a possibility here if he falls this far.
The Bears could go wide receiver
(Reggie Williams), defensive tackle (Tommie Harris) or defensive end. Much could depend on Wilfork and if he falls this far.
If he is off the board Chicago could go with Will Smith.
15) Tampa Bay – D.J. Williams (LB) Miami
The Bucs had their hearts set on wide
receiver Mike Williams but they will have to wait like everyone else.
The Bucs could stay at No. 15 and get D.J. Williams or trade down and try
and to recoup a second round pick. They
could go RB, WR, TE, DT, or LB. If
they stay put Williams is their man unless Stephen Jackson falls this far.
16.) San Francisco – Reggie Williams (WR) Washington
The 49ers could trade down, perhaps
with Philadelphia, and hope Reggie Williams is still available.
If they do trade down and Williams is gone there are plenty of receivers
to choose from or they could go for a defensive linemen or help at the corner
17.) Denver – Stephen Jackson (RB) Oregon State
I would be shocked if Jackson is still
available at No. 17. I think
Detroit will trade down and get him. If
that happens look for Denver to nab Kevin Jones.
If they are both available at No. 17 the Broncos will have a tough choice
to make but the Bucs could gobble up Jackson freeing up the Broncos for Jones.
18.) New Orleans – Tommie Harris (DT) Oklahoma
Don't be surprised if they Saints move up in the first round to try and get a CB (Hall or Robinson) or one of the Miami linebackers. If D.J. Williams is still on the board the Saints grab him. If he is gone, and there is a good chance, they could go with another LB or CB or take a D-tackle. At this selection there is more value for a defensive tackle. Harris could slide this far.
The Vikings could go in several
different directions and it depends on who falls their way.
If Will Smith is available he could be the guy.
Or perhaps they go the receiver route where they could pick from several
like Lee Evans and Michael Clayton. But
they could also go OL and Vernon Carey is a versatile one that could play guard
or tackle. This is a tough call.
Andrews is an awesome athlete and the
Dolphins take him at No. 20 if he is still on the board.
Vernon Carey is another possibility with this pick and it could go either
21) New England – Chris Gamble (CB) Ohio State
How many needs do the Super Bowl
champs have? Not many. What will happen with CB Ty Law?
I think the Pats draft a CB and I think their guy could be Gamble.
They could snag him here or at No. 32.
22) Dallas – Vernon Carey OG) Miami
Carey is a giant OG that could also play tackle. Dallas could go RB here with Chris Perry but I think they go after a runner later on in the draft.
23) Seattle – Marcus Tubbs (DT) Texas
Seattle needs DLs and there are plenty
to choose from here. Tubbs could be
If Gamble slides this far he could be
the pick. But Docket or Randy Starks is a better value here if Gamble is not available.
The Pack need DEs and Babin is their
The Rams could make a surprise pick
with QB J.P. Losman here or maybe even take a WR.
Or, they could go defensive end. But
don't be surprised if they nab Ben Troupe, a gifted TE from a receiving
The Titans would love Ben Troupe here.
They could go DT or even wide receiver.
I think they may grab the best available tackle.
28) Philadelphia – Michael Clayton (WR) LSU
A steal this late in the first round.
Michael Clayton is too good to pass up.
But, Philly would love to trade up for RBs Stephen Jackson or Kevin Jones
or one of the big time CBs or LBs. If
they pass on Clayton, LB Karlos Dansby is a strong possibility.
29) Indianapolis – Karlos Dansby (LB) Auburn
How is this LB not a top 15 pick? I think he's the best LB in the draft.
31) Carolina – Justin Smiley (OG) Alabama
32) New England – Chris Snee (OG) Boston College
I think it's Smiley or Boston
College's Chris Snee with this pick.
1) New York Giants (with trade) Eli
Manning QB Ole Miss
2) Cleveland (with trade) Robert Gallery OT Iowa
3) Arizona - Larry Fitzgerald WR Pittsburgh
4) San Diego - Ben Roethlisberger QB Miami (Ohio)
5) Washington - Kellen Winslow TE Miami
6) Detroit - Sean Taylor S Miami
7) Oakland - Roy Williams WR Texas
8) Atlanta - Deangelo Hall CB Virginia Tech
9) Jacksonville - Kenechi Udeze DE USC
10) Houston - Tommie Harris DT Oklahoma
11) Pittsburgh - Philip Rivers QB N.C. State
12) New York Jets - Jonathan Vilma LB Miami
13) Buffalo - Reggie Williams WR Washington
14) Chicago - Vince Wilfork DT Miami
15) Tampa Bay – D.J. Williams LB Miami
16) San Francisco - Lee Evans WR Wisconsin
17) Denver - Stephen Jackson RB Oregon State
18) New Orleans - Chris Gamble CB Ohio State
19) Minnesota - Vernon Carey OL Miami
20) Miami - Shawn Andrews OL Arkansas
21) New England - Michael Clayton WR LSU
22) Dallas - Kevin Jones RB Virginia Tech
23) Seattle - Randy Starks DT Maryland
24) Cincinnati - Darnell Dockett DT FSU
25) Green Bay - Jason Babin DE Western Michigan
26) St. Louis - Ben Troupe TE Florida
27) Tennessee - Marcus Tubbs DT Texas
28) Philadelphia - Karlos Dansby LB Auburn
29) Indianapolis - Dunta Robinson DB South Carolina
30) Kansas City - Rashaun Woods WR Oklahoma State
31) Carolina - Ahmad Carroll CB Arkansas
32) New England - Chris Perry RB Michigan