Junior Alex Hart (Marion, Pa.) earned Baseball Weekly All America Second Team honors. Hart had a breakout year as he finished with a 13-3 record and 3.24 earned run average. He also limited opponents to a .199 batting average and walked just 4.54 batters per nine innings (56 in 111.0 IP). The All-SEC First Team selection led the Gators with 111.0 innings pitched, struck out 81 batters and allowed just 81 hits on the year. Throughout the season, Hart was listed on everyone's national player of the year "Watch Lists."
Mark Kiger (La Jolla, Calif.) was also named to the Baseball Weekly All America Second Team. Only two shortstops in the nation were selected to the honor- Clemson's Khalil Greene earned First Team honors. Kiger broke UF season records for runs scored (90) and tied the record for most hits (104). He concluded the year hitting .403 (104-258) with 11 home runs, 60 walks and 55 runs batted in. Kiger also earned All-SEC Second Team and NCAA All-Regional honors.
The duo becomes just the fourth and fifth Florida baseball players to earn Baseball Weekly All America honors. In 1998, Josh Fogg (2nd team) and Brad Wilkerson (2nd team) were both named BW All America while Tim Olson garnered second team honors in 2000.
The All America honor was Hart's second of the year. He also earned Collegiate Baseball All America third team honors along with Pat Osborn. Three other All America teams have yet to be announced- Baseball America, American Baseball Coaches Association and the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association.
UPDATED 2002 FLORIDA BASEBALL SEASON HONORS
• Baseball Weekly All America
Second Team: Alex Hart, Mark Kiger
• Collegiate Baseball/Louisville Slugger All America
Third Team: Alex Hart, Pat Osborn
• NCAA Regional All Tournament Team
Ryan Shealy, Mark Kiger, Keith Ramsey, Aaron Sobieraj, Pat Osborn
• SEC All Tournament Team
Ben Harrison, Pat Osborn, Ryan Shealy
• All-SEC (coaches)
First Team: Alex Hart, Pat Osborn
Second Team: Ryan Shealy, Mark Kiger, Aaron Davidson, Aaron Sobieraj
• Alex Hart/Mark Kiger, Baseball America National Player of the Year "Watch List"
• Pat Osborn/Alex Hart, Baseball America "Top Surprises"
• Alex Hart, Louisville Slugger/Collegiate Baseball National Player of the Week (week of Feb. 1, 2002)
• Keith Ramsey, Louisville Slugger/Collegiate Baseball National Player of the Week (week of April 30, 2002)
• Ryan Shealy, SEC Player of the Week (for week of May 13)
• Alex Hart, SEC Player of the Week (week of May 6, 2002)
• Keith Ramsey, SEC Pitcher of the Week (week of March 25, 2002)
• Ryan Shealy, SEC Player of the Week (week of March 11, 2002)
• Pat Osborn, SEC Player of the Week (week of Feb. 11, 2002)
• Mark Kiger, SEC Player of the Week (week of April 15, 2002)
• Brian Rose, Johnny Bench Award semifinalist (nation's top catcher, one of top-10)
• Pat McMahon, USA Baseball Coach of the Year
• Kevin Coleman, GTE Academic All America nominee
• Ryan Shealy, UF's nominee for SEC Good Works Team
• All-SEC Academic
Jay Belflower, Jeff Cardozo, Kevin Coleman, Alex Hart, David Klebonis, Tom Potter, Ryan Shealy, Matt Siegel, K.O. Wiegandt