Team Tournament Items
- The Gators are 23-and-12 in the event ----- The first win came over North Carolina State and Jim Valvano in 1987.
- The Gators have had four first-round exits ----- Colorado State ('89), Iowa State ('95), Creighton ('02) and Manhattan ('04) saw to it that UF was one and done.
- The Gators made it to their fifth Sweet 16 ----- The Gators lost in the third round in '87 and '99.
- The Gators made it to their third Final Four ----- Florida reached its first Final Four in 1994 and returned in 2000.
- The Gators have lost in every round except one ----- Florida is 3-and-0 in Regional finals, beating Boston College ('94), Oklahoma State ('00) and Villanova ('06).
- The Gators have played in four Florida cities ----- This year, Florida played the first two rounds in Jacksonville (2-and-0). Previously they had played in Miami (2-and-0 in '94), Tallahassee (0-and-1 in '95) and Tampa (1-and-1 in '03). Florida has posted a 5-and-2 record in the Sunshine State.
- Sorry' bout that Lon ----- The Gators scored their most points in an NCAA game (93) against Illinois and former Gator Coach Lon Kruger in '00.
Individual Tournament Items
- Udonis Haslem is # 1 ----- Among all Gators in tournament play, U-D has the most points in a game (27 vs. Michigan St), tournament (85 in '00) and career (157).
- Andrew DeClercq ----- Had the first double-double in tournament play with 16 points and 13 rebounds against Boston College in the '94 Regional Final. Al Horford got the last one with 14/10 against UCLA.
- Joakim Noah ----- Set the Gator NCAA Tournament single game record when he blocked six shots against UCLA. He also broke the NCAA Tournament record with 29 blocks in six games (4.83/game).
- Lee Humphrey ----- Set the UF record for three-pointers in a single game after dropping six bombs on South Alabama. He dropped six more on George Mason in the Final Four.
- Joakim Noah ----- Owns the UF career record for NCAA blocked shots with 29, all of them coming this year.
Team 2005-06 Season Items
- Winningest team in school history ----- At the Sweet 16 Florida tied the school record of 29 wins shared by the Gators' previous Final Four teams. They finished the year with 33 wins. The other two teams lost eight games, finishing 29-and-8, but this team lost just six.
- Getting the point ----- Despite losing their top three scorers and the 45 points they scored every night, this team has outscored last year's by three points a game.
- Unbelievable balance ----- The 2006 Gators are the first in school history to have five different players reach the 400-point mark for the season.
- If not for the Gamecocks ----- Florida scored 69 or more points in 35 of 39 games this season (31-and-4). They failed to reach that mark in all three games against South Carolina, averaging just 59.3 in losing two out of three. They also scored just 57 in their third-round win over Georgetown.
- Gators in great company ----- With eight straight NCAA bids, Florida joins an elite group of programs that have been in each "big dance" since '99. Kentucky is the only other SEC school in the group, which includes Duke, Michigan State, Kansas, Arizona, Wisconsin, Gonzaga and Texas.
- Gators keeping it close ----- Florida's most one-sided loss this year was by just six points, 68-62 at South Carolina.
Individual 2005-06 Season Items
- Joakim Noah and Al Horford ----- Have the second and fourth best single season blocked shot totals in UF history with 95 and 68 respectively. The school record still belongs to Dwayne Schintzius who blocked 96 shots in '87.
- Lee Humphrey ----- Has set a new single season total for made three-pointers with 113. He shattered the record of Anthony Roberson who made 99 shots from long range in the 2003-04 campaign.
- Taurean Green ----- Now has the second-best single season assist total at UF with 184. He finished just shy of Ronnie Montgomery who dished out 190 in 1987-88.
- Bill Donovan ----- Now has 226 wins in his ten years with the Gators. He is just 9 away from tying Norm Sloan for the most in UF history. Sloan coached the Gators for 15 years, posting a 235-and-194 record. Donovan by comparison has just 98 losses at UF. Sloan averaged 15.7 wins a season, Donovan 22.4.
- Billy Donovan ----- Is just the third coach in college basketball history to play in a Final Four and coach a team to a National Championship. He joined Bob Knight and Dean Smith in that elite group. He is also just one of six coaches to play in and coach in a Final Four.
With Florida's top NBA prospects announcing their intention to return to school and try to defend their title, Florida is very well positioned to make another run in 2007. The Gators lost just one player, Adrian Moss while adding a quartet of players who could give Florida its deepest roster since the 2000 season.
The last team to successfully defend the National title was Duke in 1992. Prior to that, you have to go back to the 1973 UCLA Bruins who won their seventh straight title that year.
Some teams have come close. Kentucky lost the NCAA Final to Arizona back in 1997 and Arkansas lost the title game to of all people, UCLA in 1995. Villanova denied Georgetown a repeat in 1985. After beating the Gators in 2000, Michigan State returned to the Final four, but was ousted by Arizona in the semi-finals. UNLV also reached the Final four hoping to defend its title in 1991 but fell to Duke in the semis.
Do You Know (fun trivia, be honest)
- Who led the Gators in Field Goal attempts?
- Who led the Gators in Free throw attempts?
- What Gator fouled out the most (4X)?
- Who is the only scholarship player who did not block a single shot?
- Who is the only player with more offensive than defensive rebounds?
- Who is the only player not to attempt a three-point shot?
- What Gator played the most minutes?
- Which Gators started every game?
- Which Gator had the most double-doubles?
- Against what team did Corey Brewer register his triple-double?
Brewer 365, Noah 202, Brewer, Humphrey (sorry, Sutton didn't play), David Huertas (29 of 51), Richard, Green 33.4/game, Green and Horford, Horford 10, Jacksonville.