Here are some news and notes from tonight's scrimmage.
- Injury Report:
Todd Johnson was knocked unconscious. Rex Grossman threw a pass over the middle to Kelvin Kight. Todd tried to hit Kight shoulder first, head low and he collided with Johnny Lamar. Todd got popped on the chin and was unconscious for about a minute. Johnson could have gotten up but the doctors and trainers told him not to move for precautionary reasons. Todd could move all limbs. He was still taken to Shands Hospital and will stay there overnight. At this point, all we know is that he had a concussion.
OJ Small left the scrimmage with a sprained ankle.
Mike Nattiel (hamstring), Mike DeGory (back) and Darrell Lee (bruised rub) were held out of the scrimmage. If it were game day, they all would have played.
Max Starks saw limited action because of an ankle injury.
- Grossman is focusing on Taylor Jacobs too much and he is throwing to many passes up for grabs. When he wants to go to Jacobs, it is easy to read. Tonight, he looked sharp and used the tight end a lot. Ben Troupe made many catches.
- Vernell Brown looked very good. He caught 3 big passes including a screen pass in which he cut across the grain for a big play and a long ball in which he laid out and made a diving catch.
- Kelvin Kight and Carlos Perez both held their ground as the second and third receivers. They did not have as many chances tonight.
- The defense had more sacks because of the make shift offensive line. Maurice Mitchell played both tackle positions, David Joregenson played center and right guard.
- Randy Hand had a very nice scrimmage.
- Matt Farrior was the more impressive middle linebacker. He started over Reid Fleming.
- Coach Thompson continues to use Tron LaFavor, Ian Scott and Arpedge Rolle on the same D-line with Marcus Oquendo-Johnson as a standup defensive end.
- Jermaine McCollum had a tremendous practice. On one play, he covered Taylor Jacobs one-on-one on a post corner very well and he also intercepted a pass intended for Reggie Lewis from Patrick Dosh.
- Larry Kendrick had one sack and made a few big plays
- Dallas Baker caught a TD pass from Jeff Creveling.
- Travis Harris had a sack.
- Ciatrick Fason has two nice runs against the number two defense. He also had a 31-yard run.
- DeShawn Carter made a very nice player against Dallas Baker on a long ball.
- Steven Harris had 2 sacks and a QB pressure.
- Gavin Dickey had no time to throw but showed a lot of mobility.
- Ingle Martin was steady and solid in the scrimmage.