Things to Hope For
1. Defensive Line Dominance ----- It's clear the Gators are going to be very good on the offensive line with Trautwein, Watkins, Tartt and the Pounceys. But we don't know what to expect on the other side of the ball. So you want to see strong performances by Lawrence Marsh, Terron Sanders, John Brown, Torrey Davis, Carlos Dunlap, Justin Trattou et al.
2. Downfield Passing ----- Florida is very good at the underneath stuff and getting the ball to "playmakers in space", but it would be a positive step to see Cameron Newton and John Brantley to go deep a couple of times each.
3. Four Interceptions ----- Florida was not a big play bunch on defense last season, forcing just 20 turnovers in 13 games. A few picks on Saturday could be a sign that more takeaways are coming this fall.
4. Caleb Sturgis nail one from 50 ----- This kid might have the best leg any Florida kicker has had in the 30 years I've been paying attention. His accuracy needs work, but a long one in front the crowd would be a good starting point.
5. Mon Williams gain 100-plus ----- Williams has had a nice spring as he recovers from major knee surgery. It would be a well deserved reward for him to break a long one or two and have a solid, productive day.
Five Things You Don't Want to Happen
1. Injuries ----- The single most important thing in every spring game is to get out of the stadium healthy and ready to attack the off-season strength and conditioning program.
2. A high-scoring afternoon ----- Yeah, 8-10 touchdowns would be fun to see, but it wouldn't bode well for the upcoming season. A lousy day on offense would not be cause for concern, but would be a confidence boost for a rebuilding Florida defense.
3. Frat boy winning race ----- I wouldn't mind seeing some UF student winning the match race with the fastest members of the team, but do you really want the college football world to see some guy in a Greek t-shirt sprinting past the likes of Chris Rainey and Deonte Thompson?
4. Thunderstorms ----- A major cold front is heading our way, but it doesn't need to get here before the game is over. Spring games are pretty bad football to begin with. A spring game in a storm would be quite an eyesore.
5. The Wave ----- It should be banned forever. It should be legal to shoot those who take part. Students, do you really want to be doing an activity your parents invented? How about something original? A gang "moon" for example.
Have fun out there.
Questions or comments? Contact FightinGators.com's Larry Vettel
Things to Hope (or not) for on Saturday
Fightin Gators Top Stories
Sully goes for 400 vs. rival MiamiWhat could make the home series between the No. 2 Florida Gators (3-1) Baseball team and rival No. 17 Miami Hurricanes (2-1) bigger? How about Florida head coach Kevin O’Sullivan…
Fightin GatorsYesterday at 10:39 PM
Franz Beard's Thoughts of the Day; Feb.24A few thoughts to jump start your Friday morning...
Fightin GatorsYesterday at 8:57 PM
Pre-Spring Analysis: Gators QuarterbacksFor most every year of the last seven or eight seasons at Florida there has been a question at the quarterback position. That is certainly the case as we head into spring practice.…
Fightin GatorsYesterday at 2:17 PM
Position moves and new numbersJim McElwain held his pre-spring presser for Florida football on Thursday and announced a couple of position moves along with some guys that might play multiple positions. We also…
Fightin GatorsYesterday at 11:43 AM