Both Trail and Dunbar are from powerhouse Booker T. Washington in Miami. The Gators wanted to have a presence in the Miami area and getting these two is a huge benefit moving forward. With the total number for this year's class approaching the mid- to high-20's here are 12 players to keep an eye on moving forward, my "Dirty Dozen."
1. Ronald Powell is from Moreno Valley (CA) Rancho Verde High School and stands 6-3 and 235-pounds. Powell has been to Gainesville numerous times and appears to be recruiting for the Gators at this time on his own. Chance of Ronald Powell being in the Florida class at this time is north of 90 percent.
2. Chaz Green is 6-6 and 270-pounds from Tampa (FL) Catholic High School and has visited Gainesville as much as any player in this year's class that remains uncommitted at this time. Each and every visit has been made with his parents (minus maybe one) who are very involved with the recruiting process. Both of his parents went to school at Tennessee but based off conversations that I have had with the family that is not going to be a huge factor moving forward. The Florida staff has done an amazing job recruiting not only Chaz but his parents as well. The parents recognize what kind of staff that Florida has and understands that they are light years ahead of the rest. That was until Chaz took an official visit to Tennessee this weekend. Last night in chat I mentioned that the "Chaz to Tennessee" talk was just that. Unfortunately it does appear that the trip made a huge impression on Chaz and Tennessee has now pulled even with the Gators. The biggest factor is playing time which they can offer from day one or so they say. Remember they also told Matt Elam and Josh Shaw and others you can be the next Eric Berry and so on. If Chaz and his parents believe what they are selling then this one will go down to the wire if not he will end up a Gator. Stay tuned as this one just became very interesting to say the least.
3. Chris Dunkley has been one of the most talked about recruits outside of Mack Brown, junior. A phenomenal wide receiver prospect from Pahokee (FL). At close to 6-0 and 180-pounds Dunkley has legit 4.4 speed and the length to add another 20-pounds on his frame making him a 6-0, 200-pound burner that is very elusive in the open field. He gets my vote for the top wide out in the state of Florida and has had the Gators as his leader for more than a few months. He took an official visit to Georgia the team that offered him first during his sophomore season with his mother. I would not read too much into the fact that his mother made that visit due to circumstances beyond her control. He will also take an official visit to Alabama as they host LSU. Chance of Dunkley being in the Florida class is like both Powell and Green at north of 90 percent.
4. Josh Shaw is a name that recently rose up the Florida board seemingly out of nowhere. I had a chance to see him up close in Los Angeles at the Scout.com combine and he is a very physical corner that loves to jam and play press coverage. One of your bigger corners at 6-1 and 180-pounds, Shaw is from Palmdale (CA) Palmdale High School. His mother loves Coach Urban Meyer and his father loves Pete Carroll and the Trojans. He recently returned from a trip to Baton Rouge to watch as the Gators defense put up a memorable performance to say the least holding LSU to less than 170 yards of total offense. The Gators as of today are the team to beat and this one will need to be closely monitored down the stretch. As I mentioned a few weeks ago Ronald Powell and Josh Shaw are in frequent contact with each other. Those two aren't the only California based players that talk recruiting. Don't be surprised to see some other names pop up from that area of the country. Chance of Josh Shaw being in the Florida class at this time is around 75-80 percent.
5. Jeff Luc is a monster of a middle linebacker and his physical strength has been talked about in the same breath as the Incredible Hulk. From Port St. Lucie (FL) Treasure Coast High School Luc is 6-1 and 240-pounds. He has great movement/quickness for a player of his size and excels defending the run but will need to work on dropping into coverage. Widely known that he would have ended up at Florida State had they offered early it is now looking like he could end up wearing the Orange and Blue. He has a great relationship with defensive coordinator Charlie Strong and plans on being an early enrollee. Chance of Jeff Luc being in the Florida class at this time is around 80 percent.
6. Sharrif Floyd is a name that also gets a lot of play from Florida fans around the net. Floyd who visited Gainesville for Friday Night Lights is a defensive tackle that checks in at 6-3 and 300-pounds from Philadelphia (PA) George Washington High School. Floyd and Powell stay in touch with each other and have made the same visits/camps a total of four times so they are very very familiar with each other and have talked about attending the same school at the next level. That kind of talk doesn't mean that both players end up in Gainesville but it certainly doesn't hurt the Gators chances. Chance of Sharrif Floyd being in the Florida class at this time is 70 percent.
Stay tuned later in the week for Part 2 of my "Dirty Dozen" with some players that might surprise you.