1. JOHN CURTIS CHRISTIAN (1) -- (2-0) -- Last week, the Patriots defeated then No. 13 ranked Tampa (FL) Plant, 33-3. Curtis soared from No. 21 to No. 6 in this week's Top 50 compiled by Director of Scouting Scott Kennedy. Senior RB Sherman Badie rushed for three TDs against Plant, including a fake punt that was a big part of the Patriots' red-hot first half (Curtis led 27-0 at the break).
Tulane commit Richard Allen (CB) ran one punt back for a touchdown and took another close to the Plant goal-line. Junior RB Raekwon James added a burst for six points. James, who is in the 5-8 to 5-9 range at approximately 170-to-175 pounds, got blasted by a Plant player while waiting to catch a punt. The Plant player was ejected following the play, which saw James display his toughness by bouncing right back up immediately after the brutal collision.
Linebackers Duke Riley, Eric Thomas and Kenny Young seemed to be involved on every tackle or key defensive play. Senior CB Jacolby Cooper returned an interception for a touchdown, but the points were taken off the scoreboard due to a flag during the return.
Offensive linemen Anthony Taylor (6-7, 335, SR) and Brandon Godfrey (6-4, 280, Tulane commit) controlled the line of scrimmage. Most of the time, Curtis was effective in blowing Plant off the ball and QBs Patrick Morton and Abby Touzet primarily fed the dive in the triple option. Senior DL Cyle Cortez was outstanding.
Stanford recently offered junior CB Terrence Alexander, while Vanderbilt and Mississippi State both offered junior WR Malachi Dupre. This week: vs. 5A East Saint John (0-1) at Muss Bertolino Stadium in Kenner
2. CALVARY BAPTIST (3) -- (2-0) -- Last week, the Cavaliers defeated 5A West Monroe, 40-29. 6-6 QB Daniel Fitzwater is connecting on almost 70% of his passes with six TDs and no picks. Six different receivers have caught scoring strikes from Fitzwater, including standout Weston Steelhammer. Orlando Bradford has 289 yards rushing. This week: vs. 5A Carencro (1-0)
3. EVANGEL CHRISTIAN (5) -- (2-0) -- Last week, the Eagles defeated 4A Texas High (Texarkana, TX), 54-7. QB Dakota Duron completed 20-of-24 passes for 317 yards and five TDs. This week: at 5A No. 2 Barbe (2-0)
4. UNIVERSITY LAB (2) -- (1-1) -- Last week, the Cubs lost to 3A No. 2 Loranger, 26-21. Sophomore RB Nicholas Brossette gained 118 yards on 20 carries. QB Nik Kragthorpe connected with Jarrod Franklin for a TD pass. Four-star DE Tim Williams was benched for an early series, apparently due to a disciplinary issue. This week: at 1A state-ranked White Castle (2-0)
4. WINNFIELD (4) -- (2-0) -- Last week, the Tigers defeated 3A Marksville, 48-7. Winnfield has outscored its two foes by a 93-7 margin. This week: vs. 1A St. Mary (2-0)
6. LOREAUVILLE (6) -- (2-0) -- Last week, the Tigers defeated St. Thomas Aquinas, 42-28. Junior QB Raymond Bonnette hit 10-of-16 through the air with a couple of TD passes. Younger brother Rhashid Bonnette returned a punt 49 yards to paydirt. This week: at 1A state-ranked Westminster Christian (2-0)
7. CATHOLIC-NEW IBERIA (7) -- (1-1) -- Last week, the Panthers defeated 3A Erath, 46-3. Senior QB Joe Lissard passed for 283 yards and a pair of scores, and sophomore QB Jason Pellerin, a future blue-chipper, also threw a TD and returned a blocked punt for six points. This week: at 3A North Vermilion (1-1)
8. EPISCOPAL (10) -- (1-0) -- Last week, the Knights defeated 1A Ascension Catholic, 28-6. This week: vs. 1A Country Day (2-0)
9. HOMER (NR) -- (2-0) -- Last week, the Pelicans defeated 3A Booker T. Washington, 22-14. It was the second victory over a Class 3A team for Homer (beat Farmerville in week one). This week: at 1A state-ranked Haynesville (2-0)
10. HOLY SAVIOR MENARD (NR) -- (2-0) -- Last week, the Eagles defeated 3A Bunkie, 38-13. Menard beat cross-town 4A Bolton in week one. This week: vs. 4A Grant (1-1)
DROPPED OUT: Many (1-1), Carver (0-0)
PLAYERS OF THE WEEK: John Curtis LB Duke Riley (16 tackles), John Curtis RB Sherman Badie (three TDs)
Badie is pictured below (right) with Riley