1. WEST JEFFERSON (1) - (2-0) Last week, the Buccaneers defeated 4A state-ranked Helen Cox, 28-7. WR Devin Scott, a UL Ragin' Cajuns commit, hauled in two TD catches from QB Chavin Gougis, the latter who was coming off a 5A Player of the Week performance vs. John Ehret. WR Ronald Lewis (Arizona State commit) had an amazing kick return for a touchdown in the opener. TE Draper Riley (Southern Miss commit) caught a two-point conversion vs. Cox. This week: at Destrehan (1-1) which was ranked sixth last week before losing 45-7 to 4A No. 1 Edna Karr
2. BARBE (2) - (3-0) Last week, the Buccaneers defeated 2A ranked Evangel Christian, 48-47. Junior WR Trey Quinn shares Player of the Week honors with Jesuit QB Tanner Lee. Quinn caught nine passes vs. Evangel for 341 yards with five touchdowns. Four-star TE Desean Smith is committed to LSU. Junior QB Kennon Fontenot is ninth overall in the state in passing with 736 yards. He has eight TDs with three interceptions. This week: district opener at home vs. south Lafayette-based Comeaux (1-1)
3. ARCHBISHOP RUMMEL (3) - (2-0) Last week, the Raiders defeated 4A ranked St. Augustine, 42-18. Senior QB Damian Williams connected on a pair of first-half scoring strikes, according to the Advocate. The large offensive line features senior Patrick Kliebert. Keith Fulton had 144 yards rushing and two TDs. This week: at Denham Springs (2-1)
4. WEST MONROE (5) - (2-1) Last week, the Rebels defeated Madison (MS) Central, 56-28. Tony Moore went the distance on a 100-yard pick-six. QB Michael Mims kept for three long TD jaunts. DB Xavier Woods is highly-regarded. Junior OT Cameron Robinson will be a five-star prospect, per National Recruiting Analyst Chad Simmons. This week: 4A Bastrop (3-0)
5. ST. PAUL'S (8) - (1-2) Last week, the Wolves defeated 4A McDonogh #35, 24-6. Is the Covington school the best 1-2 team in the nation? Could be: two losses have come to John Curtis Christian and Tallahassee Lincoln. Safety Jay Washington (pictured below, photo credit to Steve Robertson) is among the best underrated seniors in the state.
8. Airline (3-0) (NR) QB Hayden Hildebrand is a top-notch athlete for head coach Bo Meeks
9. Covington (2-0) (NR) Lions took down top-ranked 3A Parkview Baptist in scrimmage last month. How good is this team? We'll get a true reading this week vs. cross-town rival St. Paul's
10. St. Amant (3-0) (NR) Can make a case for Gators to be ranked higher; they blew out Lafayette High, 51-7, the week after Lafayette upset NISH
ON THE BUBBLE: Haughton, Parkway, Central, Bonnabel, Jesuit, Northshore
Tanner Lee, senior QB from Jesuit, was Co-Player of the Week after racking up 552 yards through the air with seven TDs (vs. Shaw). Lee is a Tulane pledge.