1. JOHN CURTIS CHRISTIAN (5-0) - Best win: 33-3 over Tampa (FL) Plant. The Patriots are ranked second in the country for the second straight week. Last Friday, senior LB Duke Riley had a pick-six as Curtis hammered Riverside Academy, 59-0. Senior QB Patrick Morton has thrown for five TDs with no interceptions. Sherman Badie (five touchdowns), Raekwon James (five) and Tevin Horton (four) lead the team's ground attack. WR Malachi Dupre, a junior, has three TDs. Eight different Patriots have picked off at least one pass. Sophomore Hunter Dale has two interceptions and four offers. Junior Terrence Alexander (pictured below, left, with Riley) was offered by Vanderbilt yesterday. Senior LB Eric Thomas has three sacks. Junior LB Kenny Young is fourth on the team in tackles behind Riley, Thomas and DL Cyle Cortez. Curtis is the defending Class 2A state champ.
2. EDNA KARR (4-0) - Best win: 45-7 over 5A Destrehan. The Cougars have whitewashed their last two opponents (Salmen and Miller-McCoy Academy) by a combined total of 62-0. Four-star Texas A&M commit Noel Ellis holds it down on "Ellis Island." Karr has been to the state finals and finished as 4A runner-up each of the past two years.
3. NEVILLE (5-0) - Best win: 21-3 over 5A Ouachita Parish. The Tigers have taken home two of the last three Class 4A state titles. Last week, four-star LSU commit John Diarse and his teammates handed 5A Airline its first loss of the year (48-14). CB Laurence Jones is an elite junior prospect.
4. ARCHBISHOP RUMMEL (4-0) - Best win: 42-18 over St. Augustine. The Raiders have the state's highest-ranked QB in Damian Williams. Rummel went to the 5A state finals in 2009, Williams' freshman year, when the Metairie all-boys school lost to West Monroe. Rummel has scored 42 points in each of three victories (over Slidell, St. Aug and Holy Cross).
5. PARKVIEW BAPTIST (4-0) - Best win: 51-22 over East Saint John or 27-12 over Scotlandville. Three of the Eagles' victories have come over 5A schools, including last week's 39-34 donnybrook vs Catholic-Baton Rouge. RB Hezekiah Randolph is also a major college baseball prospect. Parkview was the preseason No. 1 in Class 3A.
6. LUTCHER (4-0) Senior QB Ruston Matherne is completing nearly 70% of his throws. He also leads the team in rushing. Bulldogs are ranked No. 3 in Class 4A and have outscored their last two opponents by a combined margin of 85-0.
7. TEURLINGS CATHOLIC (5-0) Head coach Sonny Charpentier and the Rebels have a monumental district opener vs. red-hot St. Thomas More this week. QB Conner Cronin was the statewide Player of the Week (all classes) after Teurlings beat Calvary Baptist in week four. The Rebels are ranked No. 4 in 4A.
8. WEST MONROE (4-1) Defending 5A state champs dropped a 40-29 decision to 2A Calvary Baptist earlier this year and didn't play well in the second half of a 20-14 win over Bastrop, but all will be forgotten if the Rebels beat nemesis Ouachita in two weeks.
8. CALVARY BAPTIST (4-1) Cavaliers and 6-6 senior QB Daniel Fitzwater own wins over three 5A playoff programs. Fitzwater has connected on a ridiculous 95-of-133 attempts for 1,446 yards with 12 TDs and only two interceptions.
10. LORANGER (4-0) Four-star LSU commit Jeryl Brazil (pictured below) and the Wolves, ranked No. 2 in 3A since the preseason, have beaten University Lab and Kentwood. Big tests looming in district vs. Independence and Amite.
On The Bubble: Saint Paul's, New Iberia Senior High, Ouachita, O.P. Walker