Ok, the 2017 class is in the books, so let's get ready for 2018. Who are the kids to know in Maryland?
Scout takes a look at the "Must Know" prospects in the Maryland's 2018 class, and the latest happenings in their recruitment.
1. So, how long before A.J. Lytton commits to Florida State? The chance seems to be very good it can happen during a Feb. 25 visit to campus. The Upper Marlboro (Md.) Wise cornerback loves the Seminoles, stated several times he wanted to play there, and it only seems like a matter of time. Michigan and Penn State are pushing hard for him, but the chances of him going to Florida State are extremely high.
2. Austin Fontaine, the No. 1 defensive tackle in the East, is getting a hard sell from Maryland, which landed a few high-level players from Hyattsville (Md.) DeMatha in the last few classes. However, Ohio State, Michigan, Clemson and Penn State are among the schools pushing hard for Fontaine, a big, physical interior defensive lineman who can control the running game.
3. Notre Dame is long considered the front runner for P.J. Mustipher for a number of reasons, and a leading one is his brother, Sam Mustipher, plays on the offensive line for the Irish. The defensive tackle from Owings Mills (Md.) Mc Donogh also likes Penn State, Tennessee, Alabama, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Maryland and a host of other schools.
4. The hottest prospect in Maryland is Thomas Booker of Baltimore Gilman. In the last two weeks he added offers from Clemson, Penn State, Notre Dame, LSU and Minnesota. He is being recruited hard by Michigan, Stanford and Maryland as well. One key part of his recruitment will be where he plays ...either tight end or defensive end. He is versatile, and smart.
5. It will be a busy spring for Hyattsville (Md.) DeMatha defensive tackle Evan Gregory, who was at Maryland last weekend and will be at West Virginia this weekend. He told Scout he will visit Virginia on Wednesday, Rutgers on Feb. 18, and North Carolina, Virginia Tech and Wake Forest this spring as well.
6. Scout 300 receiver Daniel George of Oxon Hill (Md.) High made recent visits to Maryland and Virginia Tech, and he will be at Penn State on Sunday. He said he wants to visit North Carolina and he is also talking a lot to Syracuse and Pittsburgh. He said he will not decide until during or after his senior season.
7. Rasheed Walker of Waldorf (Md.) North Point is the top offensive tackle in Maryland, and there are plenty of schools interested in him. Florida, Penn State, Ohio State, North Carolina, West Virginia, Virginia Tech and Maryland are among the schools to offer. He made visits to Maryland, UNC and Penn State, and many more should get visits during the spring.
8. DeJuan Ellis is committed to Virginia Tech, and he is solid with the Hokies. He is an electric dual-threat quarterback with good arm strength and elusiveness in the open field. He will go to Virginia Tech as a quarterback, but he has a lot of cornerback ability.
9. Jaelyn Duncan figures to get a lot of attention this spring during the evaluation period, but a few schools are already on the Baltimore St. Frances standout hard. Ohio State and Maryland are making headway with Duncan, and UCLA extended an offer on signing day for the 2017 class. Duncan also has offers from Michigan, West Virginia, Virginia Tech and Kentucky.
10. Eyabi Anoma is one of the top defensive ends in the East, and expect his recruitment to become more public now that the 2018 class is the focus. Alabama offered recently, and Michigan, Penn State, UCLA, Maryland, Texas A&M and South Carolina are among the schools to extend offers.
Ten More To Know
11. Tyler Baylor, DE, Olney (Md.) Good Counsel
12. Randy Fields, WR, Baltimore St. Frances
13. John Morgan, DE, Hyattsville (Md.) DeMatha
14. Judson Tallandier, CB, Hyattsville (Md.) DeMatha
15. Durell Nchami, OLB, Burtonsville (Md.) Paint Branch
16. Demetri Morsell, CB, Upper Marlboro (Md.) Wise
17. Noah Taylor, OLB, Gaithersburg (Md.) Avalon
18. Tyree Henry, WR, Baltimore St. Frances
19. Chance Campbell, OLB, Baltimore Calvert Hall
20. Daymon Williams, Upper Marlboro (Md.) Riverdale Baptist