Recruiting News and Notes from The Opening Dallas

FRISCO, Texas -- Scout has news and notes from The Opening Dallas regional camp stop that featured well over 400 top high school prospects at the Ford Center at the Star.

The Oklahoma Sooners secured a commitment from Patrick Fields, a 6-foot-0, 190-pound defensive back from Tulsa (Okla.) Union. OU has a long and established history recruiting in that high school program. "Oklahoma that is my hometown and there is just a lot of love up there," Fields said. "There is a lot of love up there and it is actually like a family atmosphere. I know a lot of players on the team, so I got perspective from the players and not only the coaches." - Greg Powers

Cameron Latu, 6-foot-5, 230-pounder from Salt Lake City (Utah) Olympus was at one time committed to BYU, but is now picking up coast-to-coast offers as he is back on the recruiting market. He mentioned that he is currently in talks with his family if it is in his best interest to attend a school like Alabama in the SEC or stay closer to home on the West Coast and consider one of the top programs closer to home. - Greg Powers

Atanza Vongor, Texas' top safety and a national top 50 prospect in the 2018 Scout 300, is down to a top three of Baylor, TCU, and Texas and will make his announcement March 11, he said. Vongor noted that former South Grand Prairie (Texas) High teammates Tony Nicholson (Baylor) and Jaelan Austin (TCU) were pitching him on their respective programs. - Gabe Brooks

Jalen Mayden, a 6-foot-2, 200-pound quarterback from Sachse (Texas) High announced that he will be making his final decision at the Sachse High Spring Game. Mayden has picked up some more major offers lately from schools like Mississippi StateGeorgia, and Tennessee adding to a nice offer list that already featured some prolific programs. - Greg Powers

Keaontay Ingram, the top running back in the state of Texas for 2018, has already attended junior days at Texas A&M, TCU, and Texas. He's not sure about his plans for the rest of the spring, but Oklahoma and Arkansas are two programs that he wants to visit at some point. - Gabe Brooks

One of the top edge defenders in Texas for the 2018 class, Jarell Cherry has offers from plenty of big-name programs. Cherry plans to visit LSU on March 18. He said head coach Ed Orgeron recruits him for the Tigers, who like him as a pass-rushing outside linebacker. - Gabe Brooks

Class of 2019 star defensive tackle Lloyd Murray from Wichita Falls (Texas) Hirschi committed to Florida State last week and it caught many by surprise. Murray says that he is currently 90 percent committed to FSU and that schools that he would seriously consider are in-state programs like Texas and Texas A&M. Those two programs would take up a large amount of his remaining 10 percent. - Greg Powers

Chance Amie, a 2018 quarterback/athlete from Tyler (Texas) Lee, has several FBS offers and will likely pick up more this spring. Amie said he wants to check out Syracuse, which has already offered him, as well as Baylor and Texas. Neither has offered him yet, but he's hearing regularly from their staffs and has attended junior days for both. - Gabe Brooks

Bears Illustrated Top Stories