In addition to Ibrahim Halsey and Sam Jones, who have both been written about in updates recently, here's a list of some other top prospects who have both the Jackets and the Dawgs on their short list.
- Antonio Cromartie: Both schools want this 6-3 WR with 4.44 speed badly. Mark Richt has an "in" having successfully recruited Cromartie's Lincoln High in Tallahassee for years, but the Jackets have a chance because Lincoln QB Gavin Dickey has Tech high on his list.
- Mike Watkins: Watkins has family in Columbus, Ohio, and Ohio State appears to be leading, but Tech and Georgia are still in the race for this top (6-2,185,4.5) possession receiver.Watkins is from Banneker High in College Park, which is where Levon Thomas went to school.
- Nick Turner: Turner may already have as many offers as any running back in America. Besides Tech and Georgia, Auburn, South Carolina and Penn State are pushing hard for this playmaker with 4.4 speed from Atlanta's Washington High.
- Mahlon Carey: As recently as November 1, this 6-2,195,4.6 RB listed the Jackets as his leader but the Dawgs are still vying for him. SuperPrep lists him as the No. 16 prospect in Georgia, which means he's very good.
- Merci Falaise: This kid averaged eight pancake blocks a game his junior year at Washington-Wilkes before seriously injuring his hip in the state playoffs. The more his hip heals, the more he gets recruited by all the top schools. Max Epstein wrote in PrepStar that Merci (6-5,310) has Dream Team ability.
- Antonio Mercier: Falaise's teammate is bigger (6-6,335) with impressive quickness (5.0) for his size. He's believed to be leaning toward South Carolina.
- Zaron Shanks: This top LB is from Lincoln County High in northeast Georgia. He's from the same school, of course, that produced Garrison Hearst.
Scraton is both a strong prospect as a DE (6-6,230,4.9), but is also a star in the classroom with a 3.6 GPA and 1200 SAT score.This makes him a natural fit for the Jackets who are recruiting him hard.
This potential superstar has emerged as the third elite DL prospect in the state behind Kedric Golston and Julian Jenkins. Everyone is recruiting him hard. He says he'll deal with recruiting after his season is over (Norcross High), but he grew up a Tech fan. He also has said he likes the new atmosphere in Athens.
This DB prospect from Stephenson High in Stone Mountain will visit Tech on January 11. His 4.4 speed in the 40 makes him a potential elite cover man. Michigan State and Ohio State also are after him. They don't have many players with his speed up in Big 10 country.