1. The goal of this year's team is not to win the ACC but to get to Omaha.
2. They are making personnel decisions based on the above goal.
3. The coaches had a two hour meeting following the game Sunday and will have another one today with the team.
4. The players will also hold their own meeting today.
5. They discussed the possibility of moving Jared Hyatt into the weekend rotation.
7. This is the strongest bullpen Tech has had in Pitching Coach Bobby Moranda's 5 years here. He's been working towards that in recruiting each year.
8. Tech has always recruited position players that might be drafted now we are recruiting pitchers that might be drafted.
10. The coaches are unhappy with the team's fielding and it has led to some bad performances by the pitching staff.
12. Lee Hyde is more effective as a reliever and is now throwing in the low 90's out of the bullpen.
13. The most difficult part of recruiting is battling the other ACC coaches trying to convince players that they don't want to live in the city. Once they get on campus the recruits see that this is not a negative.
14. John Goodman has been cleared to pitch by Dr. Andrews. We might see him in either of the two midweek games against Georgia Southern.
15. Eddie Burns, whose career was close to being over, threw in the upper 80's and low 90's in practice last week. He was considered a Friday starter coming out of high school. Until last week he was only throwing in the upper 70's.
16. They've been showing Mike Trapani film on his foot work turning double plays. He had drifted away from what he was doing last year and it has affected his turning the double play.
17. Russell Harben has recovered from his shoulder problems.
18. Coach Moranda has head coaching aspirations but will only leave for the right job. The location and type of school is important to his family. He turned down an interview with Fresno State and with Vanderbilt because he didn't want to miss any time preparing for the College World Series in 2002.
19. Opposing pitchers are taking advantage of our hitters' patience at the plate by getting ahead in the count on the first pitch. Last year we set a record for walks and that led to the starters having to be pulled around the fifth inning because of their pitch count.
20. Tech would probably use Danny Payne more out of the bullpen if he wasn't the starting centerfielder. Bringing him in to pitch takes away the DH.
21. The staff relies on Matt Wieters to let them know when he is available to pitch. He is mature beyond his years. Not pitching this past summer has left him with a fresh arm.
22. Tech is bringing in four quality pitchers next year. All four should be drafted. The timing couldn't be better with the juniors in the rotation this year.