Dawgs Hold On

ATHENS – In the annals of the Georgia-Georgia Tech rivalry, this will not go down as the best season for either team.

The Star: Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray always seemed to come up with the big throw at the big time, whether his target was A.J. Green, Kris Durham or Orson Charles. Murray completed 15-of-19 passes for 271 yards and three touchdowns in his first start against Georgia Tech.

The Key Play: Trailing by 14 points in the fourth quarter, Georgia Tech appeared to have tied the game with 4:57 left on Anthony Allen's 8-yard run. But Scott Blair yanked the extra point kick left, leaving Georgia ahead 35-34.

The Key Decision: After recovering a muffed pooch kick on the opening kickoff, Georgia Tech drove to the 19. The Jackets bypassed a 36-yard field goal and go for it on fourth-and-2, but Orwin Smith had tackled by Darryl Gamble for a 1-yard loss, leaving Tech with no points.

By the Numbers:

Number of consecutive extra points converted by Georgia Tech kicker Scott Blair until his untimely miss in the fourth quarter.

Length of Kris Durham's touchdown reception, the longest of his career and longest play by the Bulldogs this season.

Receptions by A.J. Green for 97 yards in what is expected to be his final game at Sanford Stadium.

Mark Richt's Comments…
Legge's Thoughts

Nor will this game go down as the most well-played.

But it was competitive, and filled with its moments, good and bad. Ultimately it came down to a missed extra point, a series of fumbles – and an unexpected defensive stand for the home team.

And even when it seemed over, it still wasn't.

Georgia held on for a 42-34 win on Saturday night, attaining bowl eligibility and beating its rival for the ninth time in 10 years. The result left both teams 6-6 as they finished the regular season.

The final minutes were frantic at Sanford Stadium. Georgia Tech appeared ready to tie it at 35, but Scott Blair was wide left on an extra point attempt.

The ensuing kickoff nearly saw Georgia give it right back. Brandon Boykin uncorked a long return but fumbled at the 40. Luckily for the Bulldogs, Marlon Brown was right there to pick it up on the bounce.

Two plays later, Washaun Ealey ran for 29 yards to the Georgia Tech 32. But three plays after that Georgia decided to go for it on fourth-and-1, fumbled the snap, and the Jackets recovered at the 24. They had 2:53 left, with one timeout to use, and only needing a field goal.

Georgia's defense, which struggled all night, then came up huge. It made two tackles behind the line, then forced a third-down incompletion. That set up fourth-and-17.

Yellow Jacket quarterback Tevin Washington was pressured almost immediately, and his desperation heave went incomplete. That did it for Georgia, which went into safety formation.

But instead of kneeling, the Bulldogs handed off to Washaun Ealey – whom promptly scored against a Yellow Jacket defense that stood up and let him through. That padded the score, but also handed the ball back to Tech with more than a minute left. Georgia's Justin Houston, who had a huge final few minutes, picked off a Washington pass with 35 seconds left to seal it.

While it's been a down year for both programs, the result means both programs will go bowling. Georgia Tech, which was already bowl-eligible, is likely ticketed for the Independence Bowl, which Georgia won last year.

As for Georgia, it seems headed for either the Music City, Liberty or BBVA Compass bowls. The Liberty is the most likely destination.

Before the madness of the final minutes, one sequence in the third quarter tilted the balance in an evenly-played game.

Georgia Tech was driving with a chance to take its first lead of the game, having just recovered a muffed punt. But Yellow Jacket halfback Roddy Jones fumbled at the 15. The ensuing scramble saw the ball kicked 16 yards toward midfield, where Georgia's Akeem Dent finally recovered it.

Georgia's offense, as it did all game, then drove downfield easily. But with 55 seconds left in the quarter, and facing fourth down, inches from the goal-line, it decided to go for it. After calling a timeout, Georgia put a package on the field that lacked star receiver A.J. Green, signaling the run.

It came. Ealey took a pitch-out, then broke through a hole on the right side for the go-ahead touchdown.

That gave Georgia back the lead. Then came the bigger blow to the Yellow Jackets.

On the first play of the next drive, Washington's pitch attempt to Roddy Jones was way off. Georgia's Justin Houston eventually picked it up, then dove at the right pylon for the score.

That made it 35-21, but the Yellow Jackets used the fourth quarter to make it a game again. They got a touchdown then forced a three-and-out, and quickly drove downfield, needing seven to tie it again. It did easily – then came the extra point attempt.

The game looked like it could be a blowout when Georgia jumped out to a 14-0 lead, matching the number it was favored by. The Bulldogs were pretty much unstoppable in the first half, as quarterback Aaron Murray passed for 220 yards and three touchdowns.

But the Yellow Jackets fought back, as their triple-option kept confusing the Bulldog defense. Georgia Tech didn't attempt a pass until halfway through the second quarter – but it was a big one. The completion converted a third-and-nine, and set up the eventual game-tying touchdown.

The Bulldogs answered with another touchdown pass to go into halftime with the lead. But the Yellow Jackets tied it again on the second half's opening drive.

Dawg Post Top Stories