Georgia/Kentucky Notebook

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Saturday was a frustrating day for Macon native Gerald Fitch. So frustrating, that Kentucky's leading scorer didn't stick around to talk about it.

Despite being asked to appear in the postgame interview room, Fitch bolted from Rupp Arena without talking to anyone after the Wildcats' 65-57 loss to Georgia.

Fitch scored 10 points, eight below his season average, and hit just 2 of his 9 shots against the Bulldogs. Georgia coach Dennis Felton said Damien Wilkins' defense on Fitch was a big key to the victory.

"Fitch is their go-to guy," Felton said. "I think he's their heart and soul. If they don't see him stringing together big plays, it might sap them of some of their energy."

Fitch was 1 of 6 from behind the 3-point line until he hit a meaningless trey with 11.1 seconds left.

"He needs to work on moving without the ball a little more," Kentucky coach Tubby Smith said. "When he has the ball in his hands and he dribbles to create a shot, he gives the opponent time to find and defend the ball. We just have to get in the swing of shooting without moving the ball. Georgia did an excellent job of defending him, and that wore him down quite a bit."

UGLY SCENE: Georgia's victories upset several Kentucky fans mightily, causing the Bulldogs some grief as they tried to exit the court using a tunnel between the stands.

"The crowd got kind of upset because we broke their little history (a 21-game SEC winning streak)," Levi Stukes said.

Several fans threw ice and souvenir T-shirts. Chris Daniels said he was hit with a drink, and he had to be restrained from going into the crowd.

"I wanted to go tell him thank you for the drink," Daniels said after the game.

Several fans were escorted out of the arena by the police, and one fan, after being threatened with the loss of his seat for the season, complained that a Georgia player touched his head.

SORRY GUYS: Felton apologized to his team in the halftime locker room after being called for a technical foul while leaving the floor after the first half. Felton was complaining to official Doug Shows about why Kentucky had received a new shot clock on a first-half possession. Felton was incensed about several of Shows' calls in the game but still was surprised to get the technical call.

"I wasn't out of control," he said. "I knew exactly what I was doing. Needless to say, I was shocked I got it. I felt like I had a lot of points to make at that point."

Felton indicated he thought Georgia wasn't getting its share of calls because the Bulldogs are rebuilding and aren't expected to win many games.

"I want everybody to respect us, including the officials," he said. "I don't want it to be any more difficult on (our players) because of any preconceived notions."

FIGHTING LIKE...: Georgia's players said they were energized by a near fight in the second half. The Bulldogs and Wildcats had to be separated after freshman Steve Newman was called for an intentional four on Antwain Barber with 12:50 left in the game. During the melee, Newman and Kentucky's Erik Daniels were called for offsetting technical fouls.

An official spent several minutes looking at a courtside monitor to determine if any other fouls should be assessed, but none were called.

Barber hit both free throws to tie the game 33-33. On the ensuing possession, the Wildcats took their only lead, 34-33, when Newman fouled Daniels and Daniels hit one free throw. It was Newman's third foul in a seven-second span on the possession.

"I was looking forward to any opportunity where we had a chance to respond to difficulty to see if we've developed any more toughness than we showed earlier this year," Felton said.

Georgia took the lead back for good 50 seconds later.

SAY WHAT?: Walk-on center Joey Waldrop may have gotten a little carried away by his two-point effort against the Wildcats.

"It was my dream," he said of scoring in Rupp Arena. "When I was a little kid I wanted to go to Kentucky, and I got this chance to show them what they passed up. I hope they regret it forever that they never looked at me."

Waldrop had scored 11 points this year entering the game but played more than four minutes against Kentucky, including 3:44 in the first half. His points came on two free throws with 1:30 left in the first half.

Felton acknowledged Waldrop's minutes were due to foul trouble but added the 7-1, 330-pounder may play more in the future.

"I'm looking for opportunities to play Joey in spots because he's showing us some things," Felton said.

THIS AND THAT: Point guard Rashad Wright limped into the locker room after the game after suffering a bruised left hip and knee from a hard foul in the second half. ... Felton is 2-0 in Rupp Arena. He won here while a coach at Western Kentucky as well. ... Six different Bulldogs were called for at least one offensive foul in the first half. ... Patrick Sparks, who played for Felton at Western Kentucky, is now at Kentucky and watched Saturday's game from the bench. Sparks is sitting out this year due to NCAA transfer rules but is expected to take over the departing Cliff Hawkins at point guard next year.

HE SAID IT: "I'm 2-1 in Lexington. To me, (Rupp) is just another arena with a whole lot of people." -- senior forward Jonas Hayes

Dawg Post Top Stories