The contract for the three games was agreed to on March 26, 1999, but last October Tulane athletics director Rick Dickson informed Georgia of his intent to cancel the games because the school was having to schedule eight Conference USA games, one more than in previous years. However, on the same date that Georgia was to play Tulane next season, Tulane has scheduled a game with Texas - another non-conference opponent. Georgia's suit alleges Tulane backed out of the contract to sign a more lucrative deal to play Texas.
Georgia had to scramble to fill out its 2002 schedule with Northwestern State, a I-AA team from Louisiana, in the Sept. 21 slot that had been reserved for Tulane. "I think when the schedule gets changed at a late notice, it always causes problems for everybody,'' Georgia coach Mark Richt said Thursday. Georgia still lists Tulane on its 2003 schedule but likely will have to fill that slot with another team.
- Injury report: Center Ian Knight is expected back in practice Monday. He was held out this week after suffering a concussion that Richt said was not diagnosed until this week. Kevin Breedlove, normally a starting guard, has filled in at center. Freshman Bartley Miller saw time with the first-team offense as the fill-in for Breedlove at guard. ... Backup defensive end Nic Clemons may miss two to four weeks with the turf toe injury he suffered against Clemson. Redshirt freshman Derrick White, who moved to end from linebacker this week, should have an opportunity to play behind starter David Pollack against South Carolina on Sept. 14. ... Richt said center Russ Tanner "is progressing well'' from his hand surgery but still is out for the South Carolina game.
- 42 or 99 for Gilbert: Linebacker Tony Gilbert normally wears No. 42 but he honored a former teammate by wearing the No. 99 of David Jacobs against Clemson last week. Gilbert may continue to wear the No. 99 that belonged to Jacobs before Jacobs suffered a career-ending stroke last season. It also is possible Gilbert may move back to his old number because he suffered a sprained ankle while wearing No. 99. Gilbert has been held out this week with a sprained ankle. He wore a No. 42 green jersey - the color for players not exposed to contact - as he jogged around the practice fields Thursday. Gilbert may be cleared for contact drills when practice resumes on Monday.
- Old news: After reading the ESPN.com story on the connections between Musa Smith's father and Islamic anti-American terrorists 10 years ago, Richt said "I think it's old news, real old news.'' Richt said he talked with Musa Smith about the story. "He said 'Coach, I've already dealt with that a long time ago,' '' Richt said.
- Worth noting: Richt said freshman linebacker Marquis Elmore "did more than he has done since he has been here'' in Thursday's practice. Elmore made his first appearance in contact drills Wednesday as he returns from arthroscopic back surgery last month.
- Richt was happy with the execution of his offense Thursday after a sloppy day on Wednesday, but he said the defense struggled. Richt gave the team a three-day weekend off before returning Sunday and practicing Monday. ... Freshman tailback Michael Cooper is playing the role of South Carolina running back Andrew Pinnock on the scout team offense.