Mens Basketball: Hawaii wins in double overtime

The Rainbow Warrior basketball team defeats Tulsa, 73-71 in two overtimes to remain tied atop the WAC standings.

TULSA, Okla. - In a game typical of the Hawai'i-Tulsa rivalry, the Rainbow Warriors pulled out a 73-71 victory in double overtime, Saturday, at the Donald Reynolds Center. It was the third overtime game in the series since 2001, and fourth road win for the 'Bows over the Golden Hurricane in Tulsa in the last four years.

The win didn't come easy as UH rallied from a six-point halftime deficit. With the 'Bows leading by two with 18.0 seconds remaining in the second overtime, Phil Martin forced a Tulsa turnover giving the 'Bows the ball back with 2.0 seconds left. But on the inbounds, TU's Anthony Price stole the ball at midcourt and his desperation 3-pointer rimmed off.

The 'Bows had an opportunity to win the game in regulation but Michael Kuebler's last second shot was blocked. In the first overtime, Jeff Blackett's 3-pointer at the buzzer was short.

Sophomore Julian Sensley scored a team-high 20 points and grabbed 13 rebounds for his sixth double-double of the season. The forward played all 50 minutes and scored 17 after the break. Martin also played all 50 minutes and recorded 15 points and eight rebounds.

The 'Bows (15-4, 7-2) remain atop the Western Athletic Conference standings through the first half of the conference schedule.

"We didn't get anything out of our big men and they (Tulsa) controlled the first half," UH head coach Riley Wallace said. "I chewed our guys out at halftime and they showed a lot of guts and heart in the second half. I'm proud of my team."

UH held a 53-49 lead with 2:20 remaining in regulation. Tulsa's Seneca Collin's 3-pointer from the top of the key pulled the Golden Hurricane to within one. After a UH turnover, Jason Parker drove to hoop and was fouled with 1:36 left. His 3-point play put TU ahead 55-53. On Hawaii's ensuing possession, Martin rebounded his own miss and his putback with 1:05 tied the game at 55.

In the first overtime, Sensley's tip-in off a Martin miss put UH up 57-56 with 2:11 remaining. Parker converted two free throws for the Hurricane but Sensley drained his second 3-pointer of the game for a 60-58 lead. Jarius Glenn's jumper in the lane tied the game at 60 with 1:30 remaining but Blackett answered with a bucket from the right baseline. Glenn responded again but Blackett's jumper from the left wing put UH ahead 64-62 with 36.4 seconds left. On Tulsa's last possession, Parker forced the second overtime with a runner in the lane.

Martin scored the first three points for the 'Bows in the second overtime. With the score tied at 67 and the shot clock running down, Logan Lee's 3-pointer from 26-feet out put UH on top with 2:14 left. A pair of Parker free throws pulled the Hurricane to within one and Seneca Collin's lay-up with 1:12 gave TU a 71-70 lead. Lee was fouled on UH's ensuing possession and his two free throws put the 'Bows back ahead. On Tulsa's next possession, Glenn was fouled but missed both free throws with 26.9 seconds left. Kuebler then drained one of two free throws with 18.0 seconds remaining.

Lee, Blackett, and Kuebler also finished in double figures. Lee matched his career-high with 11 points. Blackett added 11 points and three rebounds, playing primarily for center Haim Shimonovich, who was plagued in foul trouble throughout the game. Kuebler notched his first double-double with 11 points and 11 rebounds despite a 4-of-16 shooting performance.

UH overcame a dreadful 29.2 percent field goal percentage in the first half to finish shooting 35.6 percent for the game. TU shot just 37.7 percent from the floor. Parker scored a game-high 26 points for the Hurricane (7-11, 3-6).

The 'Bows return to Honolulu for a three-game homestand, beginning with San Jose State, Saturday, Feb. 7. Tip-off is set for 7:05 p.m. at the Stan Sheriff Center.

Warrior Sports Network Top Stories