1. What are your size and speed numbers?
Blade: 6'3.5" and 218-220
2. What are your personal and team expectations for the 2003 season?
Blade: All three of us QB's are trying to win the position of starter this fall. In D1 you always expect to see really good competition and it really doesn't mean you are out of the picture if you don't win the job at first, look at what has happened the past two seasons at this position. We all need to be prepared at a moments notice and be ready when the call comes.
On August 30th we need to get the season started right. Beat Rice and go on from there.
3. Give us your perspective on the new offense we are running.
Blade: It is something than no one has seen. It is a fun offense to run and it forces the defense to make adjustments to what we are doing.
4. What is your take on the defense following this spring?
Blade: I think our defense is going to surprise people this season. Our corners are stronger and much improved in cover.
5. What are some of the changes and adjustments you have had to make with the
offensive and defensive changes that have taken place with the new staff.
Blade: The biggest adjustment is learning a new system. Dimel's offense was more passing from a pocket where this offense has the QB moving more. This offense is real quick and more reads by the quarterback.
6. What is your outlook for the 2003 season concerning the C-USA title chase and a chance for a bowl game?
Blade: We're going to take it 1 game at a time and the end result is that we will shoot for the top of C-USA and a Liberty Bowl invitation. The biggest obstacles look to be So. Miss and TCU.
7. Tell us a little about your new position coach and new head Coach Briles.
Blade: Coach has a great offensive and defensive mind. On the field he is very business like and he is a motivator of his players.
8. What are your studies and career plans at this time?
Blade: I am currently in pre-business and am studying entrepreneurship, marketing, and management. If I go to entrepreneur school I might consider becoming a Chiropractor.
9. What makes you the most proud of your University of Houston?
Blade: We have made some strong bonds among the players. It gives us all another family that is really strong.
10. What would you like to tell CoogFans today?
Blade: Get ready for an exciting season.
Thanks to Blade for spending some time with CoogFans and giving some of his insights. I saw a more relaxed Blade Bassler that I have seen in the past. He seems to have an air of confidence that I don't remember seeing before. Keep your eyes on #12 when we report on August 6th. He will make a hard run at the starter position for the opener.
Kathie and Miller Bassler