Dickinson cornerback D.J. Small was a late addition to the 2017 recruiting class but one that quickly got Cougar fans' attention with his back story on the game of football.
Small played only one season of football for head coach John Nelson at Dickinson but made a quick impact with his athleticism and emerged as a solid late pickup for the Cougars.
1. What is your most memorable moment from your high school football career?
The most memorable moment of my high school football career is when I intercepted a pass in the 4th quarter of our first district game against Friendswood to win the game with about 1 minute left. Friendswood was projected to win the district.
2. Do you have any pre-game rituals?
The only pre-game ritual I have is to pray before the game.
3. At what point did you realize you had the ability to play Division 1 football?
I knew I had the ability to play D1 football after my first football game.
4. What position will you be playing at Houston?
I will be playing cornerback at the University of Houston.
5. What is another position you think you might could play at the collegiate level?
I think I could also play slot receiver at the collegiate level.
6. Are you expecting to redshirt your first year on campus?
I'm not expecting to redshirt my first year.
7. What is one thing you need to work on to play at the collegiate level?
One thing I would say I need to work on to play at the collegiate level is my weight. I need to gain some weight.
8. How often do you workout and what is your routine?
I workout about 5 times a week. I don't have a specific routine. I switch it up constantly.
9. Other than football, what else are you looking forward to at Houston?
Besides football, I'm looking forward to meeting new people, exploring the city, and living without my parents at Houston.
10. What is your favorite food?
My favorite food is chicken quesadillas with sour cream.
11. What is the last album or song you downloaded?
The last album I downloaded is Future's new album. It's self named.
12. What person, dead or alive, would you like to sit down and have dinner with?
I would like to sit and have dinner with my deceased Uncle Timothy.
13. Do you have any nicknames?
My nickname is DJ. Most people don't even know my real name which is Darrell.
14. What do you plan on majoring in at Houston?
I plan on majoring in Engineering or Law.
15. What is your favorite movie?
My favorite movie is Mr. & Mrs. Smith.
16. Who is your favorite female celebrity?
My favorite female celebrity is Rihanna because she is extremely gorgeous.
17. Do you know yet who you are going to room with this year at Houston?
No, I don't know who I am going to room with.
18. What was the biggest determining factor in you choosing Houston?
The biggest determining factor in me picking Houston was the coaching staff, level of play, and location.
19. Is there a coach at Houston you already feel close with?
I feel close with Coach Pope the most and also Coach Jennings.
20. What was your favorite moment from the recruiting process?
My favorite moment of the recruiting process was being able to hang out and talk with current players.
21. Have you gotten to know any of the players or other incoming freshmen through the recruiting process?
I've gotten to know Khalil Williams and Alex Myers who are current players. I've also gotten to know Grant Stuard, who is an incoming freshman.
22. What school would you have chosen if you had not chosen Houston?
If I hadn't chosen the Cougars I probably would have chosen the Air Force Academy.
23. What number would you like to wear at Houston?
I would like to wear number 21 at Houston.
24. What is your personal goal for your first year at Houston?
My personal goal is to get on the field and make a positive impact my freshman year.
25. Would you like to say anything to the Houston fanbase?
I would like to say to the Houston fan base it will be an exciting 4-5 years. GO COOGS!