- The hardest thing about creating an avatar (picture) for your username is deciding which picture to use. Thankfully the internet is stocked full of millions of pictures to use, so it's just a matter of hunting down a picture you like and saving it to your computer. Avatar pictures are restricted to 100x100 pixels in size so keep in mind the following points when selecting a picture:
- You can start with any size picture you want, but you will need to crop & resize the picture (instructions on how to do this are contained within this thread)
- Because an avatar is relatively small, you'll want to avoid choosing pictures that have a lot going on within them, as you'll lose a lot of detail.
- Because you'll be cropping your picture, you can start with a picture that has a lot going on in it, and just crop out a portion (i.e. one player's face can be cropped out of a picture that includes several players)
- Keep in mind that this site is family oriented. Avatars with Pornography, explicit language, glorification of alcohol/drugs, etc will not be tolerated, and could result in punishment by the mods. It's probably a good idea to use the "grandmother" rule: if you choose something you wouldn't show your grandmother, then it's probably not allowed here.
- If you want an Avatar but feel like formatting a picture is too much of a hassle, you can always use avatars that other people have pre-made (formatted) for you and posted on the internet. Just do a search for "100x100 pictures" or "100x100 avatars". The only problem with using pre-made pictures is that there probably isn't a lot of 100x100 ILLINI pictures out there.
- Not everyone has picture editing software on their computer, or they might not know how to use it to crop and resize pictures. Rather than put the onus on you to figure out how to find and use software that may have come bundled with your computer and/or digital camera, I've found a very basic software program (PC Only) whose sole function is to crop and resize pictures. It's very easy to setup and use. The software is called "Quick JPEG Image Resize and Crop" and can be downloaded for free HERE. Just go to the website and select "Download Now". You'll save a copy to your computer, the select the SetUP.exe file to install the program. It's a small program and takes very little time to download and setup.
- Unfortunately I don't use a Mac so I can't offer a solution on how to crop & resize with a Mac. I'm sure the software is already on the computer to do so, you'll just have to look for it.