Tuesday, March 5, 6 p.m. - Iowa City, Iowa - Carver-Hawkeye Arena (15,500)
Big Ten Network - Announcers: Dave Revsine, Jim Jackson
Notes (from Iowa sports information):
- Roy Devyn Marble has averaged 19 points the last six games, which is the fourth-best scoring average in the Big Ten since Feb. 9. Marble is 23 points from becoming the 41st Hawkeye to score 1,000 career points and become the first Big Ten father/son duo to amass 1,000+ points.
- Six of Iowa's eight Big Ten losses have come by margins of four points or less, including three by three points or less. Two of those three defeats came in overtime (one in double overtime). Iowa is the first team since Penn State in 1998-99 to play six Big Ten games decided by six points or less.
- Aaron White is one of only three Big Ten players to average 13.5 points and 6.2 or more rebounds. The other two are Cody Zeller of Indiana and Deshaun Thomas of Ohio State. The Hawkeyes are 9-1 this season when White scores 16 or more points.
- The Hawkeyes have assisted on 63.2 percent of their field goal makes (439 assists on 695 field goals), a rate that is 18th-best in the country.
- Last year, Iowa allowed opponents 72.5 points per contest. Through 29 games in 2012-13, Iowa is yielding 63.5 points. Also, Iowa is holding its opponents to a much lower field goal percentage this season, compared to a year ago. Hawkeye opponents are shooting at a 39 percent clip this season, compared to 46 percent last season. The 39 field goal percentage defense is the best the Hawkeyes have held their opponents since the 2006 season (38 percent, 732-of-1924).
- Iowa has won 98 of its 137 games (.715) in Carver-Hawkeye Arena over the last eight seasons, including win streaks of 21 straight overall and 12 straight Big Ten Conference wins. Iowa is 14-2 at home this season, marking the most home victories in Carver-Hawkeye Arena since 2007 (14-2). Iowa has won 10 of its last 20 home games against ranked opponents. Iowa was a perfect 17-0 at home in 2006, 14-2 in 2007, 10-8 in 2008, 13-4 in 2009, 9-9 in 2010, 8-8 in 2011 and 13-6 in 2012.
Roy Devyn Marble: G, Jr., 6-6, 194 - 14.2 ppg, 3.9 rpg
Josh Oglesby: G, Soph., 6-5, 202 - 4.7 ppg, 1.6 rpg
Aaron White: F, Soph., 6-8, 219 - 13.7 ppg, 6.2 rpg
Melsahn Basebe: F, Jr., 6-7, 221 - 7.0 ppg, 4.5 rpg
Adam Woodbury: C, Fr., 7-1, 235 - 4.6 ppg, 4.9 rpg
Off the bench:
Series record: 81-67
Series streak: Iowa W1
Record @ Iowa City: Iowa leads 52-20
Series streak @ Iowa City: Illinois W3
Last year's meetings:
ILL 65, Iowa 54 (2/26/12 @ Champaign)
Iowa 64, ILL 61 (3/8/12 @ Indianapolis)
Groce vs. Iowa: First meeting
Illinois coach John Groce on his general thoughts of Iowa's team…
"They're really deep. Defensively they mix it up, probably as much as any team we've played in Big Ten play. Offensively they push the ball. They're playing 10 guys, so it's going to be a great challenge for us and one we're looking forward to."
On Hawkeyes' leading scorer Roy Devyn Marble…
He's so versatile. Watching him on film he's a mismatch guy. I know last year they tried to post him when Tracy (Abrams) was guarding him and use his size, 6-6. He can shoot it. He plays well in transition. He finishes. He has all the tricks, in terms of he's got a big game. He pivots well, he jabs well, he uses shot fakes, he's deceptive in a good way and just really knows how to play. He gets to the free throw line five times a game. I think he's really well rounded offensive player and due to his size and how big he is poses a matchup problem."
Oh by the way...:
Iowa coach Fran McCaffery is two wins shy of career victory No. 300.
Iowa team info: