Wednesday, Jan. 15, 2014, 8 p.m. CST - Champaign, Ill. - State Farm Center (16,618)
Big Ten Network - Kevin Kugler, Shon Morris
Notes (per Purdue sports info):
- In Big Ten play only, Purdue ranks in the top half of 10-of-17 statistical categories, including second in rebound margin (+6.3) and third in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.38) and three-point percentage defense (.306). The Boilermakers are also fourth in assists per game (14.7) and turnovers per game (10.7).
- Purdue is averaging 77.3 points per game so far this year, its highest scoring average since averaging 83.7 points per game in the 1997-98 season. Purdue ranks 70th in the country in scoring which would mark the second-highest national ranking during the Matt Painter era (2010-11 team finished 69th nationally in scoring).
- Purdue has outshot nine of its 16 opponents this year, compiling a 9-0 record when it does so. The Boilermakers have won 11 straight games when shooting a higher percentage than their opponent and are 153-19 (.890) under Matt Painter.
- Ten Purdue players average at least 12.8 minutes per game and Purdue's bench is accounting for 30.5 points per game. In games that Purdue's bench outscores its opponent's bench, the Boilermakers are just 7-5. When it doesn't outscore the opponent's bench, Purdue is 4-0.
- Purdue has outrebounded its last six opponents by a combined 38 rebounds (6.3 per game). However, during that span, Purdue is just 3-3 and is 6-4 this year when outrebounding opponents. On the flipside, Purdue is 5-1 when being outrebounded (or tied) with the lone loss coming to Washington State.
- Painter has started eight different starting lineups this season. Last year's team had 11 different starting lineups.
- Purdue has lost 13-of-16 jump balls this season, and in 10 of the 13 times it lost the tip, the opponent scored on its opening possession.
- Purdue has held seven of its 16 opponents to 69 or fewer points, posting a 6-1 record when doing so. In Matt Painter's 287 games while the head coach, Purdue has held opponents to 69 or fewer points in 200 of the games (163-37 record) or in 69.7 percent of games during his tenure.
- Purdue has rallied from at least eight points down in four of its 11 victories (9 vs. Northern Kentucky, 9 vs. Rider, 16 vs. Siena, 8 vs. West Virginia). Purdue has trailed in nine of its 10 victories (led start to finish against Eastern Illinois).
- Ten different players have scored in double figures this year, combining for 53 outings (3.3 per game).
- Purdue has drawn just seven charges this year and none of them have been drawn by a returning player.
Terone Johnson: G, 6-4, 198, Sr. - 13.6 ppg, 4.0 rpg
Ronnie Johnson: G, 6-0, 178, So. - 11.4 ppg, 2.6 rpg
A.J. Hammons: C, 7-0, 251, C - 9.3 ppg, 6.8 rpg
Rapheal Davis: G, 6-5, 211, So. - 4.7 ppg, 3.3 rpg
Basil Smotherman: F, 6-5, 222, Fr. - 6.4 ppg, 3.7 rpg
Off the bench:
Bryson Scott: G, 6-1, 201, Fr. - 8.5 ppg, 2.6 rpg
Kendall Stephens: G, 6-6, 193, Fr. - 7.1 ppg, 1.5 rpg
Jay Simpson: F, 6-10, 250, R-Fr. - 5.1 ppg, 4.0 rpg
Sterling Carter: G, 6-0, 193, Sr. - 4.8 ppg, 1.6 rpg
Errick Peck: F, 6-6, 223, Sr. - 4.8 ppg, 4.9 rpg
Series history: Purdue leads 96-85
Series streak: Illinois W1
Record at Champaign: Illinois leads 55-34
Series streak at Champaign: Illinois W1
Last year's meetings: Purdue 68, No. 11 ILL 61 (1/2/13 at West Lafayette)
ILL 79, Purdue 59 (2/13/13 at Champaign)
"You know those guys try to out-tough you. It's one of those games where you've got to be tough and together." -- Illinois guard Tracy Abrams
Amelia Earhart served on staff at Purdue as a Counselor on Careers for Women from 1935 until her disappearance (in an unrelated case, the Purdue football team later disappeared in 2013).