Michigan No Longer Pursuing Jalen Coleman

Following the commitment of Division III wing transfer Duncan Robinson, Michigan will no longer pursue 2015 La Porte (Ind.) La Lumiere four-star shooting guard Jalen Coleman, his father tells Scout.com. Details inside.

One of Michigan’s top targets in the 2015 class for more than two years has been 2015 La Porte (Ind.) La Lumiere four-star shooting guard Jalen Coleman.

Via a phone call Tuesday afternoon, Coleman’s father Piankhi Lands said that recruitment is now over.

“Well we were trying to (set up an official visit) and they told us they were only recruiting one person for the class of 2015 and a Division III guy they had picked up, they didn’t want to set up an official date, Lands said. “They had already given a scholarship out.”

Michigan hosted Division III Williams College 6-foot-7 wing Duncan Robinson a little over a week ago, offering him a scholarship before landing a verbal commitment.

Robinson will sit out the 2014-15 season and be eligible for Michigan the following season.

The Coleman news comes just weeks after narrowing his list to six schools, including Michigan, also looking to setup dates for official visits this fall.

While both parties have now moved on in separate directions, Lands still plans to get in touch with Michigan to discuss the situation further after John Beilein reached out to Coleman on Monday.

“Actually I’m going to talk to LaVall Jordan, he’s the one I originally talked to about setting up the date and I guess Beilein called Jalen and talked to him about it,” Lands said.

“And he was kind of helping him understand they just wanted one person and they said they really wanted him but because they took one kid, the Division III kid, and I guess he has to sit out this year and be able to play next year, so, that’s kind of how he broke it down to him.”

“I was kind of a little salty about it but at the same time it’s business,” Lands added. “You’ve got to do what’s best for your university and he’s been successful there so he knows what he’s doing so, just kind of left it at that.”

Coleman officially landed his Michigan offer on June 17, 2013 following successful evaluations from the coaching staff.

With Michigan now out, Notre Dame could be in line to take the reins of Coleman’s recruitment as the early signing period for seniors approaches in November.

“See the thing is when you say lead it’s almost like it’s a race when it’s really not a race but that’s just kind of like they have some super positive attributes,” Lands said.

“On the academic side and the school size, it being only 8,000 students where it’s a smaller environment, more personal, the networking system is really big as far as people loving Notre Dame and that name goes a long way across the globe.

“It’s a special thing so with Michigan not being in the picture now that kind of really made it that much more better and he’s still staying in-state too, still at home, so it’s a positive thing there where you can go to games and be playing in the ACC and still be able to see him play.”

Coleman’s younger brother Isaiah is also quickly garnering interest in the 2017 class, picking up an offer from Creighton after a strong summer on the AAU circuit.


Illini Inquirer Top Stories