The Land of Lincoln produced some of the best prep football talent in the nation in 2004. As a matter of fact, it was freakishly good and Illinois may never see a year like that again. Having said that, there will still be some solid prospects in '05, here are a look at the top juniors.
1. Jamie Cumbie DE/TE 6-7, 255, 4.7 MorrisCumbie moved to Morris from South Carolina. He grew up a huge Clemson fan. His current favorites are MICHIGAN, WISCONSIN, TENNESSEE, MIAMI and OHIO STATE.
2. Demetrius Jones 6-3, 185, 4.5, Chicago (Morgan Park)"Double D" is being compared to former Chicago (Mt.Carmel) and current Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb. Jones says he likes TEXAS TECH, MICHIGAN STATE, NOTRE DAME, IOWA, NORTHWESTERN, FLORIDA STATE and ILLINOIS.
3. Carl Fisher WR 6-1, 199, 4.38, Bolingbrook.A four-year varsity starter, Fisher was offered his first scholarship as a sophomore by Utah. Fisher has blazing speed and he's put together. He did have trouble hanging onto the football last year but he should be fine. Carl likes NORTHWESTERN, IOWA, NORTHWESTERN, MICHIGAN, FLORIDA and OHIO STATE early.
4. John Gewant OL 6-5, 280, 5.3, Palos Heights (Stagg)I've liked Gewant since he was a sophomore. He's a big body that has played guard the past two seasons. Very strong and agile for his size, Gewant says MICHIGAN, IOWA, PURDUE, ILLINOIS, WISCONSIN and NOTRE DAME are his early favorites.
5. Javon Stewart ATH, 5-9, 165, 4.4 BolingbrookHead coach John Ivlow says Stewart is one of the best athletes he's ever coached. Javon has played QB the past three years for the Raiders. He'll play QB and CB in 2005. Michigan asst. coach Andy Moeller stopped by "The Brook" to get film of Stewart last week. Javon says that IOWA, PURDUE, WISCONSIN, ILLINOIS and NORTHWESTERN are his early favorites.
6. John Dergo, RB, 5-11, 185, 4.5, MorrisDergo is one of the best athletes in Illinois. He shredded opposing defenses for 2,089 yards and 41 touchdowns as a junior. He could play safety as well in college. Dergo is extremely competitive and tough. He's the #1 ranked wrestler in Illinois at the 171 weight class. His current record is 27-0. John also runs track from the Redskins.
7. Kevin Green Jr., LB/FB, 6-2, 205, 4.59, North Chicago Green comes from the same school as Wisconsin bound linebacker O'Brien Schofield. Green is a terrific athlete that projects as a linebacker at the next level. He had 55 tackles, 14 tackles for loss and 8 sacks as a junior. He also rushed the ball 1,060 yards and averaged 9.1 yards per carry.
Look for profiles on these SUPER SEVEN prospects after signing day.