Hoosiers Fall in Third Straight OT match

As the Hoosiers looked to end their losing streak, they struggled again to get going before their opposition, which led to the team chasing after equalizers the entire match.

In its third straight overtime match, the Indiana men's soccer team fell for the third straight time, this time to West Virginia by a score of 5-4.

It had been a back and forth match, with a majority of the goals being scored in the second half. The Hoosiers never led in the match, though they evened the score three times.

IU looked like it had no business on the pitch in the first half, with sloppy play and hardly any possession. This led to the first goal being scored almost 16 minutes into the match by WVU forward Majed Osman.

This seemed to wake up the Indiana side, as Todd Yeagley went to his bench in search of production, bringing on three midfielders. It was captain Jacob Bushue who tied up the game before half, but that didn't stop the Mountaineers from netting another before the whistle.

The Hoosiers were lucky to enter the half down 2-1, though it shouldn't surprise anyone, as the Hoosiers have struggled to get going in the first part of matches this season.

The second half showed the Hoosiers' potential, full of promising attack and exciting chances. The flip side of that showed a lack of resolve following scores, as twice the Hoosiers allowed goals mere moments after their own.

In the 82nd minute, Indiana found an attack that worked. Bushue, who normally plays out from the middle, went down the sideline and turned towards goal to find fellow senior Nikita Kotlov for the tying goal at 4-4. This attack found continued success on the run of play, but the Hoosiers were unable to score a winner before the end of regulation.

Going into overtime, the feeling once again had the Hoosiers with the momentum, just as the previous matches. This time, Indiana had many chances in the first period, the best that was almost sent in by a streaking Harrison Petts, but slid just to the left of goal.

The second overtime period began with the same intensity for the Hoosiers, but it was all for naught as the Mountaineers found Ryan Cain just inside the 18 yard box for a looping shot to the back post which freshman goalkeeper Colin Webb just couldn't handle.

Webb was not the assumed starter entering the match. Michael Soderlund, the keeper for the past three games, has been labeled with a hip pointer, which is preventing him from moving the way he needs to.

With Webb in the game, the defense looked to be out of sync, as WVU was able to find the right positioning too easily throughout the match.

While the Hoosiers have now found a way to score, they also find themselves on the wrong end of a losing streak with a record of 1-3.

"We'll be fine, we'll come back. We'll be stronger next weekend. You don't need to worry about the season," Bushue said after the match.

Peegs.com Top Stories