Indiana soccer shocked by Butler

Indiana looked well on its way to its first shutout of the 2013 season Wednesday night. Then Butler staged an incredible comeback and knocked off the defending national champions, 3-2 in double overtime. What happened? Will Padgett has the story here.

INDIANAPOLIS – With just over 3 minutes to play Wednesday night, the Indiana men's soccer team looked well on its way to its first shutout of the season.

The Hoosiers led by two goals and appeared in control.

So much for perception.

Butler erased a 2-0 deficit with a pair of goals at the end of regulation and then picked up the game-winner in the second overtime period and shocked the defending national champions before a record crowd at the Butler Bowl.

David Goldsmith headed home the game-winning score at 103:19 to move No. 23 Butler to 6-1-1 on the year. Indiana dropped to 3-4-1.

"We did enough to win the game in the second half, but we give up two late goals,'' said IU coach Todd Yeagley. "They're a good team, they have good attackers. We gave them chances, and they converted. We get the third goal and the game is over, but that didn't happen.

"We have to get up and play the next one. Every game is an important game going forward, and this was another lost opportunity."

For the majority of the second half in particular the match was all Indiana.

IU was on the attack. Midfielders and forwards alike flew around the Butler half, passing and moving with ease that wasn't seen in the previous half. Chances started to come at will, and in the 52nd minute Tommy Thompson ran into the box past his defender, laying the ball off for Femi Hollinger-Janzen for the score.

Less than 10 minutes later, it was Tommy Thompson again who worked his way into the box and between defenders, this time taking a strike across the face of goal that Butler keeper Jon Dawson fell on, but let slip under him and across the line for the second Hoosier goal.

"It's good to be scoring again," Thompson said about his performance. "I got my favorite shoes back on, so that helped with the touch on the ball. It felt good to be playing the way we were playing, we had the momentum almost the whole second half."

But the momentum evaporated very quickly in the closing minutes.

With just over 3 minutes to play, Butler's Austin Oldham found Jordan Burt wide open just in front of the Indiana goal. All Burt had to do was push the ball into the back of the net, and it would be the beginning of the end for the Hoosiers.

Less than 2 minutes later, Vincent Mitchell swung a ball into the box from the right side, and his cross found David Goldsmith's head, which he used to direct the ball past Michael Soderlund for the tie.

The Hoosiers made it through the first overtime period unscathed, but weren't so fortunate in the second as the Bulldogs went back to their attacking from the wings and found the game winner from Goldsmith as he put in his second goal of the night.

With a 3-4-1 record entering Big Ten play, the Hoosiers need to quickly right the ship.

"We have to stay positive, but we also have to realize we have to start getting results,'' said IU co-captain Harrison Petts. "We have lost four games now, and we need to start finding results whether it looks good or not, especially now in the Big Ten season every game is important. We've got to start focusing on doing the little things right, especially in the final minutes of games to get W's."

The Hoosiers return home Sunday to open conference play with Ohio State (2-4-2) Top Stories