Soccer loses to Mexico. 3-0

The Indiana University men's soccer team dropped a 3-0 decision to the U-20 Mexican National Team Sunday afternoon at IUPUI.

The Indiana men's soccer team dropped a 3-0 decision Sunday afternoon to the Under-20 Mexican National Team at IUPUI.

Here is the story on the match provided by IU media relations.

INDIANAPOLIS — The Indiana University men's soccer team wrapped its 2014 spring slate with a 3-0 loss to the U-20 Mexican National Team on Sunday at Carroll Stadium in Indianapolis.

Indiana got off to a solid start in the first half, holing a 5-4 advantage in shot attempts, including a hit from Femi Hollinger-Janzen off a thru ball from Tanner Thompson that went off the right post in the 10th minute. In the 13th minute, Mexico countered with shot from Diego Iván Pineda on a tight angle that was cleared by goalkeeper Colin Webb. The ensuing corner kick was also cleared out.

It was a scoreless draw as the teams went into the locker room at halftime, with Mexico holding more of the possession and Indiana having the more dangerous opportunities.

Indiana had a chance in the opening minute of the second half when Jamie Vollmer broke free and Mexico goalkeeper Edson Resendez came out of the net to try and snag the ball. It went over him but was cleared off the line. Three minutes later El Tri took a 1-0 lead on a penalty kick from Pineda. The Hoosiers were called for the foul just inside the top of the box and Webb got a hand on the attempt but could not clear it out.

Indiana had a chance to tie the match with 15 minutes to play as sub Michael Riedford dribbled the ball down to the left post, but his shot on the tight angle was blocked by Resendez for a corner kick.

Mexico continued to make Indiana chase and was able to wear down the IU side with fresh legs later in the match. It became a 2-0 lead in the 79th minute as Mauro Leyva laid a ball off to Guillermo Ayala, who pulled Webb off his line and shot it home to double the lead.

El Tri added a third goal in the 83rd minute as this time Leyva hooked up with Ivan Ochoa for the score.

Webb finished with eight saves for Indiana, while Hollinger-Janzen and Thompson had two shots each. Indiana had three corner kicks, all coming in the second half. Top Stories