Swartz leads IU to 1-0 win over Kentucky

Indiana beat Kentucky 1-0 Friday night to improve to 2-0-1 this season on a goal by freshman Trevor Swartz in the 61st minute. IU's Sunday match with Dartmouth has now been moved to Monday at 1 p.m. at Notre Dame.

Freshman Trevor Swartz scored the game winning goal on his only shot attempt of the match Friday night to lead No. 12 Indiana to a 1-0 victory over Kentucky in men’ soccer action at the Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament at Notre Dame.

The match was shortened to 78 minutes because of lightening. IU’s second game of the tournament, originally scheduled for Sunday, has now been moved to Monday at 1 p.m. in South Bend.

Here is a story on the IU-Kentucky match provided by the IU Media Relations department.

NOTRE DAME, Ind. — In a match shortened to 78 minutes due to weather the Indiana men’s soccer team improved to 2-0-1 on the season with a 1-0 win over the Kentucky Wildcats (1-2) at the Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament in Notre Dame, Ind.

With 12:01 left in the match the teams were called off the field due to lightning in the area. NCAA rules stipulate that a match cannot be re-started more than three hours after the initial match start time. With the IU-UK match kicking off at 5 p.m., by 7:30 it was clear the weather was not going to move out in time to allow the match to re-start by 8 p.m.

NCAA rules also state that a match is considered official after 70 minutes.

The weather forced Friday’s Notre Dame-Dartmouth game to be postponed until Saturday. Late Friday night it was worked out that Indiana and Dartmouth will now meet on Monday at 1 p.m. ET in South Bend.

Freshman Trevor Swartz tallied the game winner in the 61st minute on his lone shot of the match. The play began with Tanner Thompson taking in a UK defender, bringing him down the end line before passing the ball back to Swartz. Swartz stayed composed on the ball and took a low, hard shot to the lower right, bouncing the ball off the right post and into the back of the net.

Two of Indiana’s three goals this season have been scored by freshmen.

Colin Webb picked up his second straight shutout in goal and was not required to make a save on the night. The Hoosiers finished with a 10-4 shot advantage.

Matt Foldesy got off the first shot of the match, sending his attempt across the goalmouth just wide.

An offside flag from the official saved Indiana on a bad back pass as the Hoosiers nearly let the Wildcats net the first goal of the match in the 18th minute. The Hoosiers’ Grant Lillard went off in the 25th minute after taking a knock, with Kerel Bradford coming on to take his spot.

Kentucky’s Charlie Reymann picked up a yellow card in the 32nd minute as he grabbed the jersey of Billy McConnell who was making a run toward goal. The Hoosiers were unable to get anything out of the ensuing free kick.

With a minute left in the half Michael Riedford took a hard elbow in the back, giving IU a free kick from about 26 yards out straight on goal. Patrick Doody tried to loft the ball over the wall but his attempt drifted wide right.

Indiana had a 6-3 advantage in shots for the first half of play but neither side put one on frame.

Lillard came back on for the Hoosiers in the second half and Yeagley kept him paired with Bradford in the middle. Jack Griffith also stayed on to start the second half, as did Trevor Swartz.

Five minutes into the second half Tanner Thompson sent in a low, line-drive shot that UK goalkeeper Callum Irving went down to his knees to save.

Doody’s defense in front of the net in the 52nd minute saved what would have been a sure goal for the Wildcats as he went to the ground to clear away a cross that was heading toward an unmarked Wildcat.

With 31 minutes left Femi Hollinger-Janzen crossed a ball right in front of the goal, but Vollmer was just a step behind, as the two could not connect on a score.

In the 70th minute Doody hit a screamer from the left side that clanged off the cross bar and out, denying the Hoosiers a second score.

Peegs.com Top Stories